California - Northern

Ok, so the dang bird is officially a DETERMINED broody. *sigh* Do I get her some eggs or order a wire kennel from Amazon? I don't want any more chickens (don't have room for them!), so I'd have to rehome any chicks. And is she is a perpetual broody, somebody who wants one will be welcome to her! (yes, I'm looking at YOU @TheKeeper ).
Aaahh! Bad chicken-enabler!
You know you're hitting me just when I've lost Willow.

Of course she'd be welcome in my crazy coop - anytime.
If she's not going to be a good layer or mommy for you & you want to make room in your coop, a change of scenery may be just the ticket.
Besides, I can't ever say no to the big fluffy butts. :)

I got the final results from David yesterday (wow! that was fast!)

6-4-2015: The histologic changes are confirmatory of the previously given diagnosis of salpingo-peritonitis, with Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica isolated from the coelomic cavity, liver and lung swabs. Septicemia secondary to this infection is considered to be the cause of death in this bird. All tests have been completed. This is a final report.

The final results confirm that she died from septis due to salpingitis / peritonitis. Makes me sad.
There was no evidence of E. Coli or Salmonella, though.
Still not sure if it was genetic or something else that caused the internal laying & further complications. They have free choice oyster shells - maybe I should change feed (they are getting 2/3 layer crumbles, 1/3 flock raiser, & sprinkles of calf manna).
Needless to say, I am checking & watching the rest of the girls carefully.

[COLOR=800080]   6-4-2015: The histologic changes are confirmatory of the previously given diagnosis of salpingo-peritonitis, with Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica isolated from the coelomic cavity, liver and    lung swabs. Septicemia secondary to this infection is considered to be the cause of death in this bird. All tests have been completed. This is a final report.[/COLOR]

The final results confirm that she died from septis due to salpingitis / peritonitis. Makes me sad.
Still not sure if it was genetic or something else that caused the internal laying & further complications. They have free choice oyster shells - maybe I should change feed (they are getting 2/3 layer crumbles, 1/3 flock raiser, & sprinkles of calf manna).

Keeping a close eye on her sisters. They were all laying daily until Babs went broody. The other three are still laying. Realized today I am really not set up for a broody. To clean out the coop, I have to open the barn doors and remove the nesting boxes. That's so not gonna work if I give her real eggs. So either fake eggs & attempt to trick her with chicks, or put her in a cage & break her.

6-4-2015: The histologic changes are confirmatory of the previously given diagnosis of salpingo-peritonitis, with Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica isolated from the coelomic cavity, liver and lung swabs. Septicemia secondary to this infection is considered to be the cause of death in this bird. All tests have been completed. This is a final report.

That is good news!

It just happens sometimes--Don't blame the feed.

Quote: Oh no! So sorry to hear that. There is something particularly sad about finding them dead in the nest. It is almost like they died in "Childbirth"....
hit.gif

I would definitely say i'm in North Cali. I'm in Litchfield. That's an hour and a half north of Reno.
Welcome to the thread! I think you will like it here....
welcome-byc.gif

Quote: Wow! That is a lot! How many chicks altogether? I have 3 broodies raising 19 between the 3 of them. @ of the hens are Splash Orps and their chicks seem to have trouble telling them apart. I often see all of their chicks with one hen or the other instead of each group with their own Mom.

At least it is not contagious. It doesn't sound like there would have been anything you could have done for her though...
hugs.gif

Hello! I have a very familiar sad story: chick sexed female, family falls in love, turns out to be a male, can't keep due to ordinances, etc., etc. Daisy crowed for the first time this morning so the family finally accepts that we have to let him go. He was sold to us as a mottled English Orpington from Autum Farm lines (Marc Sacre imports), although he doesn't appear very mottled. He is 4 months old and very sweet. Anyone looking for a big boy? We are in Tracy.

Hello! I have a very familiar sad story: chick sexed female, family falls in love, turns out to be a male, can't keep due to ordinances, etc., etc. Daisy crowed for the first time this morning so the family finally accepts that we have to let him go. He was sold to us as a mottled English Orpington from Autum Farm lines (Marc Sacre imports), although he doesn't appear very mottled. He is 4 months old and very sweet. Anyone looking for a big boy? We are in Tracy.

I am sorry to hear this!

I do not understand why breeders falsely believe that they can feather sex orps and Austraorps. It is bordering on fraud....

I hope you find a good home for him!

The mottling will appear as he gets older.

Walt

Wow!   That is a lot!   How many chicks altogether?   I have 3 broodies raising 19 between the 3 of them.  @ of the hens are Splash Orps and their chicks seem to have trouble telling them apart.   I often see all of their chicks with one hen or the other instead of each group with their own Mom.

I have 3 in my layer coop: Blue (LF Cochin) and her daughter (hatched by Blue on 12/1/14) are raising 3 from Vicki's eggs and Cyndi (cream legbar) has 2 feed store EE. In my Bantam aka Broody coop: Elsa (silkie cochin) has 7 - 4 Orps from Jeff, 2 bantams and the mauve orp from Vicki and the other 5 broodies just hatched 9 Orps between them (3 splash, 3 blue and 3 chocolate from NorCal Chickens ). I Really hope they are done for the year since this is the 3rd hatch for 3 of my bantams and the 2nd for the other 3 since January. On the other hand, when I'm ready to start breeding next spring I shouldn't have to worry about hatching.

Back
Top Bottom