California - Northern

It was 103 here!! Only supposed to be in the 90s I felt scammed ha.

Everyone was under the deck or back in the coop we are expecting thunderstorms tonight!

Yikes that's hot! Hope everyone stays cool. Up here its been almost 80 which is a surprise for us. The sizzle and frizzle serama have become 5he mama's of the grow out coop. At first the sizzle was a horror to everyone to protect the serama. Once she calmed down I could add younger and younger chicks to the pen. No crowing from either yet so
1f607.png
hope they stay girls . Lol

You always send me home with the best packages.

Well, I thought I escaped the heat dead loss but no - my chocolate orpington & blue ArkBlue were dead in the run this morning. Bummer.
They are both around a year old. Everyone else is just fine.
Oh - except for my polish chicks. In one day they go from fine to puffed & droopy & sleepy. I'm assuming coccidiosis so I'm treating with Corid but I've lost 3 of 9. :(
Maybe the heat tipped them over the edge. I've taken 1 to Davis to confirm.
I have 2 more iffy ones but the rest are still acting normal.

All my recent deaths prompts me to do a full coop & run cleaning, sanitizing, & treatment.
I am so sore - it took me all day.
I powerwashed inside & out plus all the cages. Man, there was a lot of dust & cobwebs.
My girls were very grumpy being locked out of the coop. I had a waiting line similar to what you see at a concert when I let them back in.
All nest boxes occupied quickly, then here comes the 2nd round, then the 3rd round . . . woebetide the hen that chooses to linger.

I sprayed everywhere with Permectrin & coated with poultry dust, new bedding & nesting material - it's awesome.

Well, I thought I escaped the heat dead loss but no - my chocolate orpington & blue ArkBlue were dead in the run this morning. Bummer.
They are both around a year old. Everyone else is just fine.
Oh - except for my polish chicks. In one day they go from fine to puffed & droopy & sleepy. I'm assuming coccidiosis so I'm treating with Corid but I've lost 3 of 9. :(
Maybe the heat tipped them over the edge. I've taken 1 to Davis to confirm.
I have 2 more iffy ones but the rest are still acting normal.

All my recent deaths prompts me to do a full coop & run cleaning, sanitizing, & treatment.
I am so sore - it took me all day.
I powerwashed inside & out plus all the cages. Man, there was a lot of dust & cobwebs.
My girls were very grumpy being locked out of the coop. I had a waiting line similar to what you see at a concert when I let them back in.
All nest boxes occupied quickly, then here comes the 2nd round, then the 3rd round . . . woebetide the hen that chooses to linger.

I sprayed everywhere with Permectrin & coated with poultry dust, new bedding & nesting material - it's awesome.
I am using spinosad now. I will be treating again this weekend.

The heat does cause stress that can bring out illness.

Preliminary results already from UC Davis (I took them both yesterday - wow again):

Jean-Luc (French Black Copper Maran): enlarged heart (more often seen in broilers but also common in large breeds) - nothing I could have done
Polish chick: severe coccidiosis

I am SO happy that I listened to my gut & started treating them yesterday afternoon. Hopefully the other 6 will pull through.
We'll see in the morning....

Preliminary results already from UC Davis (I took them both yesterday - wow again):

Jean-Luc (French Black Copper Maran): enlarged heart (more often seen in broilers but also common in large breeds) - nothing I could have done
Polish chick: severe coccidiosis

I am SO happy that I listened to my gut & started treating them yesterday afternoon. Hopefully the other 6 will pull through.
We'll see in the morning....

Force them to drink if they are not drinking the medicated water.

Corid, powder, 1.5tsp per gallon

Sorry to hear about the heat losses. We hit 109° yesterday, DD told me tonight 1 of the 4 year old quail had died.

I dealt with a possible AI case that the extension sent my way last night. Hope it turns out to be just heat, we are still up in the air about having poultry at the fair.

We had thunder & lighting at 4:16 this morning. It was close enough to rattle our windows and I could fell the bed shaking. The flash was so bright I thought Eric was playing with the light switch. I guess I'm a little twisted, I'm hoping for more tonight!

It was very hot!

Tomorrow we go back into the mid 90s in Woodland. Today was 104.
I'm in Bakersfield. It was 106 here yesterday. We set up 2 oscillating fans and a mister - the spiral kind that stands up- for my chickens, quail & rabbits and all faired okay thankfully. But that heat was just a drop in the bucket for summer heat here. We look more at 110-113 in July and August. So we'll have to prepare a bit better for those temps. Crazy weather. It was high 80's and a bit of rain today.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss to The Keeper.
Ronott1 what is spinosad??

Spinosad is a new insect killer. It kills mites and lice better than some of the old ones because there is less resistance to it.

It also keeps working for longer if it is not in direct sunlight. That makes it good for killing mites in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom