California - Northern

you got your answer but yes, sniff the slosher, they can go bad FAST.

I'm checking  for ideas, anyone  work with leg mites that have been mild but wont go away for a while that just went INSANE?

I have 2 seremas that i have been treating periodically   but seems to come back, that had their problem go  crazy last week and 2 lost their back toe. 

I brought everyone in last night, treated with  WD 40 and washed this morning, did ivermectin orally, and did Vaseline this AM.  One poor girl is still limping,  everyone else is just  annoyed to be inside.  When the skin sloshed off this AM my worse girl lost all her skin in some spots ( thus inside) .

Any  foolproof treatments? the  coop was just  redone new bedding and  treated for bugs  last week. I think that started the issue the  nits all jumped on the chickens as the coop was killing them.  they had frontline, but obviously does not work on these. 

Also, I might be  re-homing some of my silkie and showgirl hens, PM me if you are interested and  willing to pick up. The broody madness is getting to Mario, ha.

How is everyone else doing?

How is the mite treatment going? Wishing you progress!

Thanks Ron.    His loss a real loss.  He was such a sweet boy. I have hatched dozens of roosters in the last few years,  but none of them were as kind as Mr. T.  He was such a wonderful bird and I feel grateful for having been his keeper these past few years.    

Oh that's so sad. Good roosters are one in a hundred!

Thanks...it is always hard though.  With the meat birds, I know from Day 1 what will happen to them so it is not as hard.   With ones that were to become part of the flock or be sold, it is much harder.   This guy was to be sold since I can't keep roosters. 

All of that multi problem stargazer type are hard to impossible to fix if vitamins don't totally clear it up. Pret has killed more then its fixed for me but its the last best hope.

Usually going away and coming back implies permanent brain damage :((

How is the mite treatment going? Wishing you progress!
Oh that's so sad. Good roosters are one in a hundred!

We lost 2 back toes and a front toenail. I've been spraying them nightly and might do another soak tonight. I want All this crap gone forever this time!!!

Anyone need bielfelder or golden cuckoo Marans roosters? I have maybe 3 of each that I will need to rehome! Small rehoming few or maybe trade for chicks or anything poultry! 2094814058

All 3 are OEs. First two look like boys and the third (last picture) is definitely a pullet. 

You got lucky with more Ameraucana girls than boys. I have been hatching mostly boys this year. The 2 Silkies are from my eggs? Blue/buff? Porcelain? I would like to see pictures of the d'Anvers and Silkies. :pop  

Are you finding wheaten/ blue wheaten are easier to sex earlier in the am's?
I've heard that but wasn't sure.
The bbs have given me a run for my money!
I have a 4 month old I swore up and down was a blue girl. Now I find its a boy.
I even did crop surgery to save it because I only had 2(I thought) blue girls in this batch, haha!

All of that multi problem stargazer type are hard to impossible to fix if vitamins don't totally clear it up. Pret has killed more then its fixed for me but its the last best hope.

Usually going away and coming back implies permanent brain damage :((
We lost 2 back toes and a front toenail. I've been spraying them nightly and might do another soak tonight. I want All this crap gone forever this time!!!

Shantih!! I've missed you!!
On the frontline types: I believe Ron said some have used the new flea drop brands on birds and claimed success. Not sure which ones but it's a conversation I recall. Other than frontline stuff?
@ronott1

Shantih!! I've missed you!!
On the frontline types: I believe Ron said some have used the new flea drop brands on birds and claimed success. Not sure which ones but it's a conversation I recall. Other than frontline stuff?
@ronott1

The new one is spinosad full strength on the skin. It is systemic like frontline but the amount needs to be figured out. There is a version that is about twice as concentrated and the company that sells it spent the money to have it approved for chickens. It will set you back about $120.00 to buy the approved one. Of course there is so much in the bottle and you use such a little amount that it would last forever.....well at least until it reaches it's expiration date.

Maybe find someone to co op with?

Well, today I became a real chicken keeper. Got home from work and one of the three day olds was dead (looked like it got stepped on) and one was squashed with its organs hanging out but still alive. So I snapped its neck with a kitchen knife. *sniffle* Now I need a drink.

Well, today I became a real chicken keeper. Got home from work and one of the three day olds was dead (looked like it got stepped on) and one was squashed with its organs hanging out but still alive. So I snapped its neck with a kitchen knife. *sniffle* Now I need a drink.
hugs.gif

It is never easy but necessary.

I wrap little chicks that are suffering up in a paper towel leaving an opening for the neck. I put the wrapped chick into a sandwich zip lock bag. Finally, I use scissors to cut the head off, cover with paper towel and zip up the bag.

It is the quickest and cleanest way I have used.

(((hugs)))
hugs.gif

Oh, that's hard. I've never had to put a chick down yet.

Your splash orp hen is doing great.
The 12 stitches are mostly holding.
If I can keep her from getting infected, I think she'll be just fine.
She's a sassy thing - she must be feeling pretty good to scold me as she does. :)

(((hugs))) :hugs
Oh, that's hard. I've never had to put a chick down yet.

Your splash orp hen is doing great.
The 12 stitches are mostly holding.
If I can keep her from getting infected, I think she'll be just fine.
She's a sassy thing - she must be feeling pretty good to scold me as she does. :)

Nothing ever happened to the SIX I got from the farm store! To lose two of the new peeps in one day just seems ridiculous. If I hatch again, I'll wall off the mom & peeps for a couple of weeks.

And yes, Clorinda is a talker. She's lead hen around here and used to getting her way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom