California - Northern

Yeah, what's up with the squatting? We've got two that do it, our bantams, and it's hilarious! Also, it's the only reason my 2yo son can catch them, lol
It's been about 6 years since I had any easter eggers. I forgot what " trouble makers" they can be LOL. They are such escape artists and love flying up on top of the coop. My Barnies rarely even try that. Only the younger more adventurous and agile Barnie pullet's make it to the top of the coop.

This one squats for everyone including the cat.

Pretty eggs though.

It's been about 6 years since I had any easter eggers. I forgot what " trouble makers" they can be LOL. They are such escape artists and love flying up on top of the coop. My Barnies rarely even try that. Only the younger more adventurous and agile Barnie pullet's make it to the top of the coop.

This one squats for everyone including the cat.

Pretty eggs though.

Not sure how far north you are but in SoCal in East SGV and we've had hot humid weather near 100 degrees and over - we only had about 2 bad weeks last year but this year has been humid nonstop since mid-August. Our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana is suffering in this climate affecting her 2nd year laying since January. Our friend's EE stopped laying her 2nd year completely. Apparently Amers/EEs are climate sensitive since our broody Silkies have layed way better this year! The Amer's molt weird also - sporadic and it affects the normal egg cycle. I adore the non-combative temperaments and pretty eggs from these girls but I can't bear to watch how much the heatwaves make them suffer. Guess pea combs do better in milder climates because SoCal doesn't agree with our girl. We adore our Amer girl for her kind non-combative temperament in the flock but think we might try Cream Legbar for a hardier blue egg-layer next time around.

We tried a Marans for dark eggs but found the temperament too assertive around our gentle and smaller breeds. From research it didn't suit us that all the dark layers were not really all that friendly and the best temperament breed we discovered for brown eggs was the lighterweight Dominique even though the eggs are not dark but ordinary brown. Most common brown egg-layers (RIR, NHR, BR, Orps, Lorps, etc etc) are dual-purpose or too heavy around our lightweight gentle breeds. The Barnevelders, the Marans, the Welsummers, the Penedesence/Empordanesa - all beautiful dark eggs but not the friendliest or kindest breeds to have around our littles.

Anyone have any similar conclusions or experiences?

Last edited:
It's been about 6 years since I had any easter eggers. I forgot what " trouble makers" they can be LOL. They are such escape artists and love flying up on top of the coop. My Barnies rarely even try that. Only the younger more adventurous and agile Barnie pullet's make it to the top of the coop. This one squats for everyone including the cat. Pretty eggs though.
[COLOR=0000CD]Not sure how far north you are but in SoCal in East SGV and we've had hot humid weather near 100 degrees and over - we only had about 2 bad weeks last year but this year has been humid nonstop since mid-August. Our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana is suffering in this climate affecting her 2nd year laying since January. Our friend's EE stopped laying her 2nd year completely. Apparently Amers/EEs are climate sensitive since our broody Silkies have layed way better this year! The Amer's molt weird also - sporadic and it affects the normal egg cycle. I adore the non-combative temperaments and pretty eggs from these girls but I can't bear to watch how much the heatwaves make them suffer. Guess pea combs do better in milder climates because SoCal doesn't agree with our girl. We adore our Amer girl for her kind non-combative temperament in the flock but think we might try Cream Legbar for a hardier blue egg-layer next time around. [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]We tried a Marans for dark eggs but found the temperament too assertive around our gentle and smaller breeds. From research it didn't suit us that all the dark layers were not really all that friendly and the best temperament breed we discovered for brown eggs was the lighterweight Dominique even though the eggs are not dark but ordinary brown. Most common brown egg-layers (RIR, NHR, BR, Orps, Lorps, etc etc) are dual-purpose or too heavy around our lightweight gentle breeds. The Barnevelders, the Marans, the Welsummers, the Penedesence/Empordanesa - all beautiful dark eggs but not the friendliest or kindest breeds to have around our littles.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Anyone have any similar conclusions or experiences? [/COLOR]
Well, I raise barnevelders exclusively, so I haven't tried all the breeds out there. I got the three ( one is not pictured) easter eggers for my daughter who " wanted something different". I enjoy the personalities of my Barnevelders. But, of the five total EEs I've had the personalities were widely different in each bird. Of my current EEs One is super quiet, one is flighty, one is super friendly. I live up by Redding. It gets hot here. My Barnevelders have adapted over the years mostly through selection of the better heat tolerant indivduals. Who knows what the EEs will do as hatchery birds vary so greatly by strain if you can even call them a strain as varied as they are. Trisha

Last edited:
My chickens are lost! I only had three but they free range in the yard all day and a tree guy left the gate open! I'm hoping they come home tonight otherwise I'm going to need new girls before my three year old gets heartbroken!

My chickens are lost! I only had three but they free range in the yard all day and a tree guy left the gate open! I'm hoping they come home tonight otherwise I'm going to need new girls before my three year old gets heartbroken!
Oh No!

They usually do not go far. I had one go over the front gate(Silly Trader Joes pullets) and she was hanging out under the Orange tree.

They will try going back to their coop at dusk.

Well I brought my sick hen to the vet. Her crop is swollen and they gave her some medicine to stimulate digestion. They also did a blood test and said she is anemic. They don't seem to think she will make it; they think she might have some kind of kidney problem cause she keeps drinking lots of water and not eating much. She has perked up quite a bit after getting the medicine though, so we'll see what happens.

She is young, one of the year old hens I got from @PetRock. Hopefully she pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom