California - Northern

In my experience you can show a bird of any color at the fair. Many people I know have done that. They showed Seramas in showmanship and none of them were white. For incage though you will have to have white I believe. Just my 2 cents
1f44d.png
You are talking about 4-H and FFA shows? They are not the same as an APA sanctioned show for adults.

Last edited:
Not a problem tj, the safest thing is to check with the Fair you go to. Some don't use real judges so you could show anything that looks like a chicken.

w
I believe our fair (Stanislaus County Fair) actually uses real judges. My son showed last year a hatchery RIR and got 2nd place in his div. She was in my opinion a great looking bird but she was a production not heritage

Last edited:
I was wondering if any of my friends on here would have any pure bred bantam hatching eggs. Cleaned legged preferred but not required. They are for my 4her's (I'm the poultry leader). We have been having a rough 2 years finding birds for our July show and the kids asked if they could hatch their own. They would be used as showmanship birds mostly but our fair requires them to be exhibition as well that is why they must be purebred. We were going to order form a hatchery but that is way to expensive for the kiddos. Thank you. PM me with info please. PS I'm also going to be looking for birds at the show in Modesto at the end of the month if we can't find anything else, it's just that kids are afraid they won't be able to tame down grown birds that haven't been handled much. Thank you. Oh, and we can travel if you happen to have chicks available:cd

I have my Mille Fleur bantam Belgian Bearded d'Anvers separated and just waiting for them to start laying.

My Silkies are laying well. They are self blue cream, partridge, lavender splash and a chance of solid lavender.

I believe our fair (Stanislaus County Fair) actually uses real judges. My son showed last year a hatchery RIR and got 2nd place in his div. She was in my opinion a great looking bird but she was a production not heritage
Yes, they use licenced judges there. Showmanship in California assigns 10 out of the 100 points to the quality and condition of the bird . if you have a non Standard bird because of color or type you lose 5 points right off the bat.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom