California - Northern

Ok now that I have fertile eggs I need to buy some broodybators. Anyone have any chickens that like to go broody? I looked my chickens and according to the chart all are extremely unlikely to go broody. Should I just wait and see? If any one has a broody for sale , I might be interested. My other thought is to just buy an incubator. I would just like to hatch a few eggs and understand the process. I have quite a barnyard mix so I think the chicks are going to very weird looking but so far it's been fun. Any suggestions?

Check out Cochins, Brahmas, and Silkies. All awesome broodies. Oriental gamefowl are just as good if not better - my Shamo Misha has hatched me 2 clutches of chicks and attempted to brood maybe 8 times in the past year alone, but they are expensive to purchase (Misha I hatched myself but Misha's mom cost me $100). Although they are WELL worth the purchase price because they are so sweet and very fun birds to have, as well as being great broodies.

That said I've always had better luck with my incubator. You don't have to beg and plead with an incubator to work! (Well, assuming you get a good one!) My Brinsea Mini has gotten me through a lot of hatches (With another one due tomorrow) and my Octagon 20 DX, despite being a pretty old thrift store find with a faulty turner, has never done me less than 70% hatch rates.

If you do choose to go with broodies, I know Sherri Minkner is an awesome Silkie breeder and @Chooklet (Dyanne) breeds GORGEOUS and super cute bantam Cochins!

Thanks ronott1, I love that link--What a great idea!  I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Thank you!!

QueenMisha, I saw your website while googling around last night and have been loving your website and ogling your offerings. I'll definitely be stopping by the next time we're in the area!

Glad to hear it! I love getting new customers in, showing people around the shop is one of my favorite things. I guess I'm very lucky to have such a fun job!

The website is a bit out of date but I think it gets most things accounted for. I know the phone numbers and emails are still in date, so if you have any questions yo can just call and talk to Jay (my boss) I'll get a complete list of breeds we have coming up when I go to work tomorrow, and post them here. I know we have a really fun batch coming up, and I think it includes like 10 breeds this time, bigger than our normal batches!

Well I set 23 Pita pinta eggs on Saturday. 8 Delaware and 5 Silkie eggs from Neal as well.

We shall see how it goes. I love Pita chicks they are so stinking friendly and cute. Went by Concord Feed and managed to walk out without any chicks
They had just recieved Delaware,Silver Laced Wyndote, Barred Rocks, RIR, Amaerucana, and Turken
Having Pitas and Dels in the incubator was motivation enough though I could have scooped a bunch of the Dels for sure.

Those are some nice breeds you got. How often do you sell the Ameraucanas? I've been meaning to pick up some true Ameraucanas for a while now. I've actually been wanting standard birds but man... a bantam blue egg sounds absolutely friggin ADORABLE.
Thanks
I have eggs all the time on the bantams, i have to ship some this weekend but will have more next week. Actually there eggs are generally as large as my full size silver ameraucana too. small but not bad for a bantam

Thanks
I have eggs all the time on the bantams, i have to ship some this weekend but will have more next week. Actually there eggs are generally as large as my full size silver ameraucana too. small but not bad for a bantam

Hmm. I am planning on filling my incubators this Sunday for an Easter hatch but maybe I can get some right after those guys hatch out. What're you charging for them?

I plan to attend also. It should be fun. I am a completely newbie - just have 3 Wyandottes, 1 month old.

Hello, I am in Santa Clara also! I have 7 chickens right now & have had chickens for about 3 years. I have 2 Wyandottes, 1 Pita Pinta, 3 bantam Orpingtons & 1 Orpington cockerel who just started crowing so he will be leaving soon!

Back
Top Bottom