California - Northern

Hello every1 the southern post seems dead so I'm here to say hi~ I'm from Los Angeles. I'm seriously looking for some pullets or possible a turkey in california if ita allow.. I could purchase. I really don't know where I could buy them from tho. I really need some girls. Please advice me on where to get chicks not from website. Cause I don't have that much money for 10×chicks and shipping!! Thank uuuu

Hello every1 the southern post seems dead so I'm here to say hi~ I'm from Los Angeles. I'm seriously looking for some pullets or possible a turkey in california if ita allow.. I could purchase. I really don't know where I could buy them from tho. I really need some girls. Please advice me on where to get chicks not from website. Cause I don't have that much money for 10×chicks and shipping!! Thank uuuu
It is great to hear form you!

You can get six pullets shipped to you from Cackle hatchery.

Also some feed stores will have chicks now without a minimum purchase number.

Last edited:
I hate having to put chicks down but Id rather it not suffer the agony of a slow death. One of my delaware chicks was not doing well and had become very listless and we could not get it to eat and drink. It couldnt stand without help. We have another Delaware that is having standing problems and falls over but can get upright on its own and stay upright for quite a while but ends up on its side when it sleeps. We also have a silkie chick with what looks like either severe splayed leg or a dislocated hip. We are trying several things to help her grow into her legs but she eats and drinks when stuff is presented to her. We are hand feeding her and the other Delaware in hopes that a little growth will improve their conditions. So out of 22 eggs in my, less than optimal, incubator we had 8 hatch but 6 had or have problems 2 Pita Pinta sticky chicks have overcome their issues and doing fine. Hatched 4 Delaware,3 Pita Pinta 1 Silkie.

Its so funny to watch chicks go from tearing around the box to asleep then pop back up again. Considering all the problems with my bator Im happy with the ones I have.

Euthanizing the babies is hard, but you have to use your best judgement about how much they are suffering and the quality of life they might end up with. Sorry about your incubator issues hope you get them sorted.
The one I put down seemed to have a problem with its spine. The wings seemed misaligned and one was broken (or malformed) i think.

If the silkie was not eating vigorously when offered food I would have put her down too but when they show a will to live I think we should give them every opportunity even if that life isn't ideal. Their display of determination is a deciding factor for me. If there is a chance for them to overcome and live a life (even if semi disabled) I think they deserve that chance.
I agree with you on helping the ones that have fight in them. It can be a useful thing to consider when deciding whether to treat or humanely end their life. I'll only tube/force feed or hydrate an animal in acute cases (like when in shock right after an injury). In my experience, babies that have to be tube fed to get started just never really thrive (both with birds and reptiles). I'll go all-in to save a bird that is fighting and just needs some help, though.

1f602.png

Don't know where you are located in SoCal. You can check with Amber Waves Silkies website in Norco, CA, since they have Silkies, Goats, Turkeys, and I don't know what else but you can call them and find out and maybe arrange pickup at their farm. Flip Flop Ranch website in Lucerne Valley, CA, have different animals of which Turkeys might be on their list since they have Chickens and Cotton Patch Geese too. Turkeys in SoCal are just too large to have as a backyard bird for most L.A. County residents but you can check the above farms mentioned and if they don't have Turkeys I bet they'll be able to recommend someone who has them. GL!

Hello everyone! I just joined and I was recommended this thread since you guys are Northern California too! I live in Tehama County ^_^
welcome-byc.gif

I was Born in Red Bluff at a Hospital that does not exist. It was the old County Hospital.

Let us know what breeds of chickens you have.

Back
Top Bottom