California - Northern

Meet the latest addition to "The Island of Misfit Chickens":
Marty Feldman

It is a midget white turkey poult hatched yesterday.
It seems to be blind in addition to the bulging eyes (a genetic deformity).
Here's a comparison pic:

I plan to gove it a forever home as long as its not suffering.

I hope they don't hurt.

Any one have Welsummers? Are they not the brightest bulbs in the shed? These 3 chicks are constantly getting trapped behind fences and cant figure out that the doorway is 6 inches away. they are super cute but dumb as a stump by comparison to the Hamps Dels and Pita chicks

Any one have Welsummers? Are they not the brightest bulbs in the shed? These 3 chicks are constantly getting trapped behind fences and cant figure out that the doorway is 6 inches away. they are super cute but dumb as a stump by comparison to the Hamps Dels and Pita chicks
I am brooding a couple now to test out, and after every other chick figured out how to escape the brooder those two would sit inside cheaping plaintively for all their vanished buddies. No reaction to new food items unless there is another bird there to try it out and then they will get that it is food. I can be trying to set something down in their little grow-out and they will stare as it comes right down on top of them instead of sensibly moving away. In short, yes... the two I am dealing with seem pretty slow in the head. They are just some Tractor Supply Chicks someone else got for me, so I thought maybe it was TS birds rather than Welsummers. Guess not.

Then again, many people swear Leghorns are dumb and the ones I have are rather clever girls, so maybe these Wellies are flukes.

I am brooding a couple now to test out, and after every other chick figured out how to escape the brooder those two would sit inside cheaping plaintively for all their vanished buddies. No reaction to new food items unless there is another bird there to try it out and then they will get that it is food. I can be trying to set something down in their little grow-out and they will stare as it comes right down on top of them instead of sensibly moving away. In short, yes... the two I am dealing with seem pretty slow in the head. They are just some Tractor Supply Chicks someone else got for me, so I thought maybe it was TS birds rather than Welsummers. Guess not.

Then again, many people swear Leghorns are dumb and the ones I have are rather clever girls, so maybe these Wellies are flukes.
Here is hoping my Delaware broody and the Hamp sisters will help them smarten up

I guess that I got 3 smart ones, then. I don't remember them being dumb as chicks and, as adults, they sure know who carries treats in her pocket. I currently have 1 that is raising 2 Langshan chicks and a Pita Pinta chick. She is an excellent mother and all are thriving. She was also an easy broody to work with unlike my big black Langshan hens.

I guess that I got 3 smart ones, then. I don't remember them being dumb as chicks and, as adults, they sure know who carries treats in her pocket. I currently have 1 that is raising 2 Langshan chicks and a Pita Pinta chick. She is an excellent mother and all are thriving. She was also an easy broody to work with unlike my big black Langshan hens.
THe chicks are easily handled just dont seem super smart when it comes to challenges nor are they very adverntureous

I personally don't think one breed is better then another. Just certain breeds are better for different people just like dogs. :) I also think they are all individual. Love them for what their good at. They can't help the things their bad at.. :(

I personally don't think one breed is better then another. Just certain breeds are better for different people just like dogs.
smile.png
I also think they are all individual. Love them for what their good at. They can't help the things their bad at..
sad.png
they are cute though and I got them for their colored eggs just have to help them out a bit more because I have other breeds that figure things out fast.

Back
Top Bottom