California - Northern

@Birdlady141
Not exactly what I hoped to find, but close enough.
Bantam Partridge Wyandotte eggs headed this way, hope they will be as sweet as the rocks I lost.
Sylvester017 says -- Most bantams are fairly sweet -- hard to go wrong with any bantam breed you get. We love our hardy little old Silkies. Not much good for eggs but good as broodies or pets. We get docile friendly lightweight large fowl Breda for eggs and they are great to mingle with docile bantams. Here's a couple pics of Breda and Silkies. We presently have two Silkies, one Cuckoo Breda, and one Blue Breda (the juvenile siiting in my lap -- yellow feet are a picture on my shirt, not my bird).
DSCN7794.JPG
DSCN8126.JPG
DSCN8129.JPG

I have BBS Orps, old English games, Phoenix, pyncheon, and bramah bantams. The pyncheons are ferocious broodies, they will take on anything!

The BLRWs lay an egg and go broody, they are big and pretty but basically hang out and eat.

I have BBS Orps, old English games, Phoenix, pyncheon, and bramah bantams. The pyncheons are ferocious broodies, they will take on anything!

The BLRWs lay an egg and go broody, they are big and pretty but basically hang out and eat.

First time 6 years ago when I was looking for bantams I looked into BLRW bantams, Pyncheons, and Olandsk Dwarf bantams but were hard to locate at the time and as luck would have it we were given a pair of Silkies free from a friend who hatched too many. So, of course, we fell in love with the little fluff-butts! But from all I've researched it seems most bantams are great broodies but give little eggs. Our Silkies surprised us laying from 1.25 to 1.5-oz eggs and often while in their younger years. They're going on 5-1/2 and 6 yrs and not laying much but they're great to keep around to teach the new pullets that get added to the flock. Many breeds have come and gone in the yard but the Silkies have outlasted all of them. Bantams are great for so many reasons and don't get enough credit for their contributions to a backyard flock.

We started out with barred rocks for eggs then my daughter wanted to do 4-H poultry and we ordered a few different breeds.
I get stopped all the time when Squishy goes on errands with me, the little diva refuses to believe she's a chicken. Since the bantams have been handled so much they make great partners for teaching new kids about showmanship.
During fair I also have birds I can show to the kids that don't peck or flap when being touched by toddlers and pre-schoolers.
They have been to Salem, Stevens WA and Red Bluff, they seem to like the car rides, could be the treats they get.

Hi, All! My laptop crashed a few weeks ago and I finally spent the time to get my dinosaur desk top up and running. Now, I get to figure out how to navigate the new site! I've been busy hatching blue/black/splash Langshan and Pita Pinta. I need to snap a few new pics to share.

Hi, All! My laptop crashed a few weeks ago and I finally spent the time to get my dinosaur desk top up and running. Now, I get to figure out how to navigate the new site! I've been busy hatching blue/black/splash Langshan and Pita Pinta. I need to snap a few new pics to share.
Welcome back!
And to the new BYC!

Back
Top Bottom