California - Northern

IMG_1994.JPG

They are just a few weeks old. I do love the color.

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 1
Anyone interested in some polish chicks. I ordered from sandhill in feb and just now got my order. A lot were substituted and I just don't need this many polish.
Buff laced

Are any of you interested in purchasing a 55 Flowery Hen chick Trio? I have 2. One trio is 2 weeks old and I got it directly from GFF, one is about 3 weeks old, hatched from cjwaldon's flock. I may even have an extra pullet from the GFF group to make it a quartet. The GFF group were obtained through an auction, so I can offer it really reasonably. PM (conversation) for more details. I am planning another Southbound trip in the next couple of weeks.

I have a 3 year old Buff Orp who appears to have laid 2 eggs a day for the last 2 days. The eggs are slightly smaller than usual and she had not laid in days prior to this and to my knowledge not 2 in the same day before.
I have researched and though not common it apparently does happen. She has been isolated with my 12 week old delawares and wellies. The eggs are too big to be pullet eggs (and they are way too young to lay yet) and they are the wrong color for the wellies besides. Anyone else have this happen to them. I know its 2 eggs in a day because last night I had checked for eggs and there were none. I checked this morning and there were 2 (I removed them) this evening there are 2 again. I do not see any way in which a chicken from another pen could have gone in and laid and actually returned to its pen. (Everyone is where they were supposed to be) I had originally sold her to friends of mine 3 years ago. As she had gotten older she would go broody for them frequently and they never mentioned multiple eggs (except maybe once or twice but I assured them that one probably laid late in the evening of one day and laid again the next day. ( They had a flock of 4) They gave her back to me a few months ago after they broke her broody again and she had not started back laying after some time. She was here a week when I got my first egg from her in the quarentine pen. I have collected 2 eggs in the past but only because I had assumed the day before I just missed. She is a sweet girl and I hope this isnt and indicator of future demise. I got her for the broodiness anyway. Any advice. If she is a double layer with any regularity Im wondering if breeding her would be a good idea. She is a hatchery stock bird so I wonder if I should try to get a buff male or continue to try to use her in my pita/buff crosses. (Affectionately called cocoa puffs due to the chocolate brown chicks)

I have a 3 year old Buff Orp who appears to have laid 2 eggs a day for the last 2 days. The eggs are slightly smaller than usual and she had not laid in days prior to this and to my knowledge not 2 in the same day before.
I have researched and though not common it apparently does happen. She has been isolated with my 12 week old delawares and wellies. The eggs are too big to be pullet eggs (and they are way too young to lay yet) and they are the wrong color for the wellies besides. Anyone else have this happen to them. I know its 2 eggs in a day because last night I had checked for eggs and there were none. I checked this morning and there were 2 (I removed them) this evening there are 2 again. I do not see any way in which a chicken from another pen could have gone in and laid and actually returned to its pen. (Everyone is where they were supposed to be) I had originally sold her to friends of mine 3 years ago. As she had gotten older she would go broody for them frequently and they never mentioned multiple eggs (except maybe once or twice but I assured them that one probably laid late in the evening of one day and laid again the next day. ( They had a flock of 4) They gave her back to me a few months ago after they broke her broody again and she had not started back laying after some time. She was here a week when I got my first egg from her in the quarentine pen. I have collected 2 eggs in the past but only because I had assumed the day before I just missed. She is a sweet girl and I hope this isnt and indicator of future demise. I got her for the broodiness anyway. Any advice. If she is a double layer with any regularity Im wondering if breeding her would be a good idea. She is a hatchery stock bird so I wonder if I should try to get a buff male or continue to try to use her in my pita/buff crosses. (Affectionately called cocoa puffs due to the chocolate brown chicks)

Reproductive issues are always a concern to me. Especially overactive laying. I wouldn't breed the Orp so not to stress her and would certainly make sure to fortify her with additional vitamins to replenish the nutrients in her body from her laying so frequently. I had a White Leghorn that layed 2 eggs in one day but it only occurred once. Evenings when birds are roosting and calmer I will administer a drop of children's no-iron Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin on their beak whenever a chicken is sick, injured, broody, molting, or during an unusually frequent laying cycle, to fortify them on top of usual chicken vitamins like Rooster Booster added daily to feed. My vet is forever stressing to use vitamins for chickens. A laying hen especially needs supplements in addition to her regular good layer feed.

I hope your sweet Orp is okay but don't stress her with breeding her. Just let her brood an empty nest if she goes broody. I have a broody hen right now and just let her set an empty nest. She's a 6 eggs weekly layer so I don't mind when she goes broody to give her body a nutrient break from laying so many eggs.

Last year at fair we had some cream brabanters. We were collecting 2 eggs a day from both of them. The adjoining pens had a blue egg layer and on the other side was a white egg layer. They had me very confused! It will be interesting to see if they come back this year and do the same thing.

Came home and tucked fertile eggs under my broodie. She wasn't happy when I took the old ones but liked the feel of the 16 I gave her. Slipped a few bantam ORP eggs in with the parti wyandottes eggs.

One of the pigeon eggs is close to hatching also. So much easier to wait 2 weeks for them. Of course no development in the pair we've had for 4 years.

Hi fellow CA chicken lovers! I am trying to find some white crested black polish (want to end up with a hen, so sexed would be great...) somewhere in CA, does anyone know where I might be able to find some chicks? I just got 3 from a hatchery and the trip was too hard on them, none of them made it past 3 days :( so, I'm trying to find some more locally so they don't have to endure such a long trip. Poor little bean sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom