California - Northern

Hi! Introducing myself as Lucas, and i'm from Stanislaus County!
welcome.gif
It is great to have you on the thread!

Hi all! Its been awhile since I've been on here. I am ISO harching eggs for olive eggers (F2 preferred). I lost mine this winter. Willing to drive to pickup. Thank you!

I would have given you some eggs Saturday. I have Ameraucana crossed to Marans and f2 Olive dark eggs bred back to my Ameraucana. Really enjoyed talking with you, Tarron, and PJ and Bill.

Hi! I'm in Northern California, not far outside of Sacramento. Question for you all. It gets super hot here in the summer - like weeks of 105-115. Am I crazy or cruel if I get a Buff Orpington rather than breed that tolerates heat better? Anyone else in the area have healthy and happy Buff Orps despite the insane heat?

Hi! I'm in Northern California, not far outside of Sacramento. Question for you all. It gets super hot here in the summer - like weeks of 105-115. Am I crazy or cruel if I get a Buff Orpington rather than breed that tolerates heat better? Anyone else in the area have healthy and happy Buff Orps despite the insane heat?
Good Question!

Buff orpingtons do fine here as long as you use something to keep them cool. The most important thing is shade and water for them to drink. I also use a mist system. Currently I use orbit mist strings and a timer. I check accuweather and set the mist to come on when the temp is forecast to go over 90 and shut off when it goes under 90. Usually from 2pm to 6 or 7pm.

I have this one with two extension kits:

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-20066-...18194824&sr=8-3&keywords=orbit+misting+system

Any hose end timer will work for auto turn on and off

Back
Top Bottom