California - Northern

i wonder if “neutering” them would make them quieter? Im learning how to with my group supposedly the meat is really good when they are done so figured id try.

hey all! Yes im back! Lol.
hey anyone know someone with a few fertile goose or turkey eggs? I have a broody hen and want to use her to my advantage lol. Or brahma eggs too, since i want to work with them as a breed as well. Im in cottonwood but willing to travel, anyone have any connections?

also figured id update some pics of my group!
It does. There was a thread on how to capon your birds yourself. Must do it young.

i wonder if “neutering” them would make them quieter? Im learning how to with my group supposedly the meat is really good when they are done so figured id try.

hey all! Yes im back! Lol.
hey anyone know someone with a few fertile goose or turkey eggs? I have a broody hen and want to use her to my advantage lol. Or brahma eggs too, since i want to work with them as a breed as well. Im in cottonwood but willing to travel, anyone have any connections?

also figured id update some pics of my group!
caponing has to be done when they are young so you need to know that they are cockerels early-- Sexlinks would work better or vent sexed. The packing nugget cockerels they use are usually a sexlink so you could do that with them.

Not many know how to do it though.

caponing has to be done when they are young so you need to know that they are cockerels early-- Sexlinks would work better or vent sexed. The packing nugget cockerels they use are usually a sexlink so you could do that with them.

Not many know how to do it though.
Yeah i was going to practice on dead then go from there. I have some experience doing sx and such so we’ll see how i do. Definitely wont be for awhile yet. Ill see if i can find the info though! I bet it would help!

Yeah i was going to practice on dead then go from there. I have some experience doing sx and such so we’ll see how i do. Definitely wont be for awhile yet. Ill see if i can find the info though! I bet it would help!
It seems that the tools are available from China. I hope the instructions are in English!

:gig

I hope everyone is doing ok with all the fires and smoke up here in the north.

Really starting to hate this time of year. 🙁
PXL_20210723_151233379.jpg

I hope everyone is doing ok with all the fires and smoke up here in the north.

Really starting to hate this time of year. 🙁
View attachment 2771688
Same. Between the heat and the smoke it's a lot. What do you all do for you flock when it gets really smokey? I don't really have the ability to bring them indoors, is there anything I can do for them outside? Do I need to worry about it even? I know they have sensitive respiratory systems, so I worry about them, but maybe it's not a big deal😟

Same. Between the heat and the smoke it's a lot. What do you all do for you flock when it gets really smokey? I don't really have the ability to bring them indoors, is there anything I can do for them outside? Do I need to worry about it even? I know they have sensitive respiratory systems, so I worry about them, but maybe it's not a big deal😟
I can't bring my flock inside either. They seemed to do ok last year, and it was far worse in my area. Granted it is early in the season so far. I am not sure if there is anything you can do. I worry about mine as well, because if it is not good for us, it can't be good for them. The ash last year destroyed paint on our cars, so it can be pretty corrosive. If there is something that can help them, I would love to know too.

We have some smoke here too. We would have more if the wind switched direction.

It has been hotter than normal so far too.

We have some smoke here too. We would have more if the wind switched direction.

It has been hotter than normal so far too.
I am not sure if I should be happy because it is cooler here today. Or sad, because it is cooler because it is overcast with clouds of smoke 🙁.

Otherwise it has been really hot here.

:frow Hey, Northern California BYCers!

I'm reaching out to you from smoky Sacramento. The air is awful here right now, but I feel bad even complaining about it because my family, home, and property are safe from fires. I hope you all are safe and doing well, also! :hugs

I'm posting here in the hopes that there is a duck lover amongst you who might be interested in providing a home to three Pekin ducks we rescued that we found abandoned at a local pond. There are 2 females, and 1 male. I think they're still pre-laying age, and they are a tightly bonded trio who gets along with other ducks and chickens.

They were so sad when we found them (dehydrated, wet-feather, bumblefoot, you name it...), but with good care and treatment they are like new ducks now! :jumpy.
I put together a little slideshow of their story HERE. Please check it out if you want to see pictures of their transformation or, even better, if you're interested in giving them a place to call home! We would love to keep them, but our coop is at capacity; we simply don't have the room.

Please, please consider adding the Pekin Pals to your ducky flock, or perhaps they could be your first ducks ever! I will provide a small kiddie pool for them as well as some of the food they've been eating. Oh! And if the females are still at the end stages of their bumblefoot recovery, I'll also send them with their protective shoes. I just really, really want them to get a wonderful home where they'll be take care of. :fl

Thank you!!!

Kay

Back
Top Bottom