California - Northern

I know there are a bunch of us Northern California types here (yeah, I'm talking to you).

Now, the question is where do we draw the line between North and South?
wink.png
tongue.png

This thread is sponsored by our great friends at Concord Feed!

Visit one of their five greater Bay Area locations: https://concordfeed.com/locations/

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!
Then you have to scribble a line between Bay Area which can include Vacaville and my side towards Sacramento county. Yikes

I'm in Sonoma County, near Petaluma (the former "Egg Basket of the World" but now home to a dwindling number of abandoned henhouses) in a very rural area surrounded by vineyards.

There's a small organic chicken farm down the road, and my great-grandparents used to have all their own livestock. Unfortunately the chickenhouses fell into disrepair and had to be torn down, but now I'm starting up the chickens again with a new coop!

I got my six chicks (2 RIR, 2 NHR, 2 Cuckoo Maran) from Western Farm Supply in Santa Rosa on the 10th, and I think they said they had got the chicks from Belt Hatchery, but I'm not sure. I also got some organic chick starter there, which they seem to like. The staff were very helpful and polite as well.

Anyone have any feed store recommendations for Sonoma County or the greater Bay Area? Or any sources for chicks and hens?
There’s a great feed store downtown Petaluma near the river. Sorry I can’t remember the name. Google it maybe.

I’m in a brand new member in southern Nevada county. I’m on a skosh under 10 acres of raw land (with well) and am wanting to keep some poultry. Starting with chickens, but ducks will also happen.

I’m thinking four egg layers to start with, kept in a mobile coop/tractor until Autumn rains. They’d be sharing a 3000+ sq. ft. run with a couple LGD pups that were raised with goats and poultry, and would be somewhat mobile, as the run is electrified poultry netting that I plan on moving from time to time.

Anyway, I’m here to get better educated on the ins and outs of chickens in Jefferson er, NorCal.

I’m in a brand new member in southern Nevada county. I’m on a skosh under 10 acres of raw land (with well) and am wanting to keep some poultry. Starting with chickens, but ducks will also happen.

I’m thinking four egg layers to start with, kept in a mobile coop/tractor until Autumn rains. They’d be sharing a 3000+ sq. ft. run with a couple LGD pups that were raised with goats and poultry, and would be somewhat mobile, as the run is electrified poultry netting that I plan on moving from time to time.

Anyway, I’m here to get better educated on the ins and outs of chickens in Jefferson er, NorCal.
Welcome!

Heat is a big problem here and not so much cold in the winter. You might be colder where you are though!

We go to 103 tomorrow so I have my misting system setup.

Welcome!

Heat is a big problem here and not so much cold in the winter. You might be colder where you are though!

We go to 103 tomorrow so I have my misting system setup.
It’s only supposed to be 95 here tomorrow, but it is certain we’re going to see 100+ in the summer. So a misting system might be in my future as well. Breed selection would play a big part in heat tolerance as well, no? I was thinking RI reds, but am eager to be shown why that’s not the best idea.

It’s only supposed to be 95 here tomorrow, but it is certain we’re going to see 100+ in the summer. So a misting system might be in my future as well. Breed selection would play a big part in heat tolerance as well, no? I was thinking RI reds, but am eager to be shown why that’s not the best idea.
Rhode Island Reds are fairly heat tolerant.

Most breeds will have problems over 105F without shade, water and misting though.

I have had the most trouble with Marans

Back
Top Bottom