California - Northern

It’s a rooster parade! Me too! I got straight run Basque Hen chicks and it looks like I have 2-3 cockerels. I am keeping one (for now), but would like to give the others away. These are from Greenfire. I like that they describe the breed as incredibly friendly and resilient. They say this breed thrives in difficult conditions that would kill other breeds. Sounds great if you are interested in raising some of your own barnyard mixes. Hens lay a tan egg, good layers. Roosters are a gorgeous lemon cuckoo color, hens buff, often with white “flowers”.

Hey all, hello! I have a friend who lives in Eureka, now THAT's northern California! He makes fun of me when I say I live in northern California (20miles east of Sacramento) because HE's in the north, lol. I would have to say that anything south of Sacramento and north of the grapevine is in the central valley. It's all good!
Had to laugh - I'm about 20 minutes north of Eureka, so VERY northern Cal! Only one county between us and Oregon...and lots of redwoods. Have yet to meet any Ewoks, though, or Bigfoot... ;)

Another rooster post! I posted in the Bay Area forum a little while back, but I forgot that there was also a NorCal one. On the off-chance that someone has a Marek's resistance breeding project going -

*Marek's flock* must got to another Marek's Flock!

I've got a lovely Brahma-sized 4 month old Lavender Ameraucana x Brahma cross ("sage egger") cockerel Marek's carrier in Oakland that I can't keep and need to rehome ASAP if at all possible. Here's the link to my rehoming post.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ma-cockerel-oakland-ca.1584136/#post-26914315

I'm willing to drive up to an hour (esp. this weekend) to meet/deliver him.

Feel free to ask me any questions about him.

Or if anyone has any other ideas for me, I'd love to hear.
(photo is of him next to two 4 mo standard sized pullets, for size comparison)

Attachments

• IMG_2764 2.jpeg
    IMG_2764 2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Another rooster post! I posted in the Bay Area forum a little while back, but I forgot that there was also a NorCal one. On the off-chance that someone has a Marek's resistance breeding project going -

*Marek's flock* must got to another Marek's Flock!

I've got a lovely Brahma-sized 4 month old Lavender Ameraucana x Brahma cross ("sage egger") cockerel Marek's carrier in Oakland that I can't keep and need to rehome ASAP if at all possible. Here's the link to my rehoming post.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ma-cockerel-oakland-ca.1584136/#post-26914315

I'm willing to drive up to an hour (esp. this weekend) to meet/deliver him.

Feel free to ask me any questions about him.

Or if anyone has any other ideas for me, I'd love to hear.
(photo is of him next to two 4 mo standard sized pullets, for size comparison)
Does your flock have mareks? Have you had deaths from it?

I posted in the SF Bay Area thread as well but as we all know, Northern California is in an eye of the beholder!

Up for discussion is my gorgeous 8 week old black mille fleur Swedish Flower Hen cockerel. Hatched under a broody hen on April 22, 2023. Friendly - will jump up on your arm and eat from your hand. Vaccinated for Marek’s. Asking $25 but I’m very open to discussion if going to a good home!
[email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3170.jpeg