California - Northern

Yes, as far as I know. I had one hen die a month ago - had a necropsy done and default diagnosis was Marek's. No one else has been symptomatic before or after, but it's only been a little over a month since the first got sick.
With mareks, even vaccinated, a percentage of hens will die at about two years old from cancer.

The vaccination lowers the percentage but does not completely stop it.

I know there are a bunch of us Northern California types here (yeah, I'm talking to you).

Now, the question is where do we draw the line between North and South?
wink.png
tongue.png

This thread is sponsored by our great friends at Concord Feed!

Visit one of their five greater Bay Area locations: https://concordfeed.com/locations/

2_byc-feed-store.jpg
!
As far as I'm concerned, it should be just north of Sacramento. A lot has changed in the last 16 years.

Anyone interested in a Marraduna Basque cockerel? Marraduna is the gorgeous lemon cuckoo color of this breed. I have two cockerels to give away - my biggest one let out his first crow yesterday and started trying to mount the pullets, so it’s time to go. 8 weeks old, vaccinated for Mareks. Basque hens are a great, friendly and super hardy breed. We are in Sonoma.

Anyone interested in a Marraduna Basque cockerel? Marraduna is the gorgeous lemon cuckoo color of this breed. I have two cockerels to give away - my biggest one let out his first crow yesterday and started trying to mount the pullets, so it’s time to go. 8 weeks old, vaccinated for Mareks. Basque hens are a great, friendly and super hardy breed. We are in Sonoma.
They are usually very good Roosters!

They are usually very good Roosters!
that’s great to hear! I am keeping one little roo, hoping he might work out and I can breed some hardy farmyard mixes. I wasn’t going to have a roo with my flock anymore, after a series if pain in the behind roos, but had to order this breed straight run. Hope springs eternal I guess…. These are my first Basque chickens - I am very excited.

Ok, here are a couple of pictures. The blonder roo has a few crooked toes. I don’t think it’s genetic. The feed store sold me old feed saying it was fresh and I didn’t find out until I had two very weak little chickies from vitamin deficiency (a different breed, Azure Eggers). The Basques showed no symptoms at all - but this little roo had his toes go a bit crooked. He was the fastest growing chick of the bunch. Smaller roo has perfect feet.
D3FB265A-FFC4-4A77-81DC-C52159843038.jpeg
9C24D7EE-C319-463C-A4F4-A3B4011F32AC.jpeg

Hello! I'm from up in Auburn, CA and am looking to rehome this handsome boy. He's a Lavender Orpington who is 10 months old. We got a group of chicks last in September and one turned out being a rooster. He is a bit territorial with the flock and the coop area as he will charge me if I go near either. I'm over tired of having to be on alert when I round the flock up at night and would prefer to just rehome him. I also do not have the heart to cull him 😭

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hello! I'm from up in Auburn, CA and am looking to rehome this handsome boy. He's a Lavender Orpington who is 10 months old. We got a group of chicks last in September and one turned out being a rooster. He is a bit territorial with the flock and the coop area as he will charge me if I go near either. I'm over tired of having to be on alert when I round the flock up at night and would prefer to just rehome him. I also do not have the heart to cull him 😭
Where was he purchased from.

Back
Top Bottom