California - Northern

Quote:
Hi Cheryl,
If you can hatch the chicks about the same time as our John Blehm order, then I would take two (or three if straight run), please!

Dyann, they are such nice girls! Yippee!! The two top hens are sleeping on the upper roost, with the two SS gals, the EE and the Cochin (back from mama duty) on the lower.

Here's the new splash kids out with mama in the sunshine today. 15 days old.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_img-20110220-000611.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_cloverdale-geyserville-20110219-000541.jpg

Dawn, I think it's time for another round of closer pictures of the little Splash babies! It looks to me like there are a couple of girls in your bunch.
wink.png

Those are the cutest little birds I have seen in a while. Congrats!

Quote:
Welcome aboard
frow.gif

They're surprisingly warm, even in this cold weather, if they have a shelter & eachother. But a few more weeks inside won't hurt either. 'Playtime' on non rainy days is a good thing if you have time.. let them be outside but come back in to sleep.

Our girls like portable perches: A piece of tree branch screwed onto 4x4 (or 2x4 or even another branch) at each end for support. My coopbuilder made me some. I can take them out to clean & disinfect. most are about 3" diameter.

Oh and they all use the same nest box. Made for an interesting day last week when one went broody.... the others kept going up to lay & getting chased off, looking bewildered. I had to lock her up in a different pen. (they have 3 boxes in there, but like the northernmost one for some reason)

Happy President's Day
big_smile.png

(hmmm, if a cooper makes drums.... what do we call a coopbuilder?)

Last edited:
Doe anyone anywhere near Humboldt have a spare silkie hen???
I'm dying to get some chicks but every time I go to the feed store they are sold out of EE chicks, Ideal is sold out untill May, so I thought I could just hatch some from my eggs but, I need me a broody! So plllleeeeasse if anyone has a silkie they can sell me let me know! Kicking myself for not buying one at the poultry show.
I'm willing to pick up or meet half way!!
Also interested in EE's, Russian Orloffs, and Favorelles if anyone has pullets, hens or chicks!

Hi! I'm in the McKinleyville area. The last 2 times I got silkies was from The Farm Store on Jacobs Ave (next to the "other" airport). They had them in with the regular sized chicks, and they were getting trampled and were cheeping REALLY loud, so I brought them home. I'd give them a call. I haven't seen them at the other 2 feed stores near me (A&L Feed and Three G's). Good luck!

Quote:
I totally agree! I love Splash babies!
love.gif

Thank you , Thank you! They are such a hoot! Mama took them out in the big yard yesterday afternoon, and they had to fly up about 28 inches to get back! And they all did! WOWie! Agile little buggers. Mama still puffing up like a turkey and keeping them all safe from the hooligans, or anyone who comes by. (Actually, all my birds are surprisingly tolerant of both sets of chicks so far! Makes it easy for me, for sure. I will try to get some more pictures soon, but crazy days at work are keeping me BUSY! Hoping for Thursday to take some pictures. Probably in the snow, from what it sounds like1 EEgads! I thought I lived in Sonoma County, not Tahoe...!

I spent a lot of time this afternoon and into the evening outside with my birds. Here's some pictures from today.

Claude, my Blue Wheaten roo, he's been really cooperative lately when I've tried to take pictures of him, typically he runs in the other direction whenever the camera comes near him!
gig.gif

IMG_4085.jpg

Today though he was really interested!

IMG_4086.jpg

Judy, someone is eating her tail feathers.
hmm.png

IMG_4088.jpg

Saffron, eating ivy leaves.

IMG_4087.jpg

Still noming on some ivy...
lol.png

IMG_4080.jpg

My Orpingtons have really "grown up" it the past few months, I amazed at their size (mind you, still growing...) and just they are such calm, gentle, easy going birds.

Edmund.

IMG_4075.jpg

My blue cockerel, still without a name. I don't want to get too atatched because I think he and one of my black pullets may go to live at a new home...\\

IMG_4077.jpg

My basketball Orpington Alice.

IMG_4103.jpg

Alice again.

IMG_4107.jpg

One of my black pullets squishing a blue.
lau.gif

IMG_4073.jpg

A pretty black girl, with incorrect eye color though.

IMG_4084.jpg

I also posted these pictures on the Bay Area thread but I wanted to share here too.
smile.png

Anyone interested in a Olive Egger Roo....he is very sweet very pretty just can't have the roos he is a young guy only a few months old...also have a bantam dark brahma young roo too

Back
Top Bottom