California - Northern

I have a dozen eggs in the incubator right now and *if* they hatch will have a few chicks to house. I believe they will be mixed breeds because they came from a non breeder with many different types of breeds on his property. My question is, who takes these kinds of chicks? Most people on this website are breed specific but what happens to these little babies? I will probably keep a couple to add to my new flock but will need to home a few as well.

Hi BenAnnaMama

I live in Woodland and work at UCD. There are lot's of chicken people here--I don't know how many on BYC though. There is also a Yahoo Group that may be interested. Depending on what the person you got the eggs from has, I might be interested in a couple. Are any of the breeds rare or heritage?

Enjoy​

I havn't been able to see any of the lavender or blue birds yet. I dont know any of the chicken people in my area, and my moms flock up in washington is all ladies she picked up at the feed store. Not trying to imply that they are any less wonderful chickens... just much more common colors! Like I said, I have all black australorps who are mostly calm and friendly, but it'd be nice to see something a little different who still has a good disposition. The orps do look like a hardy, mellow bird from what I see online. Seems like a lot of the more "exotic" looking chickies tend to have flighty personalities.

Does anyone know someone who raises Ko Shamo around the Central/Northern Cali area? I've been trying to track down a pair or trio.

I love all the colors of Orps and am trying to get them all eventually. I have blues and love them and have buffs of course but I also have white Orps that are a little over a month old now and one of them has feathers that are coming in a little more silver than white. Unfortunately I think this silver Orp is a boy but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a girl. I am really looking forward to seeing how this chick develops!
smile.png
I want to get lavenders next. I've seen pics of lavender Orp roos and they are so gorgeous! I just can't keep any more roos at this stage.
sad.png

So many chickens so little room...

just thought I'd say HI ! dose anybody know where or if I could get a couple 8 week old (ish) hen's in the area ? I kinda had a little misshap last nite with a fox and lost two of our little chic's. oh yea I live in Ukiah but would be willing to travel a little bit if needed...

Hello all! I'm chicken-curious in Oakland.

We bought a little 1920s house with a little yard about two years ago, and have been working on the place. We have bees and are considering chickens. We're thinking of keeping bantams, maybe sebrights, or araucanas. Our plan is to research and build this year, and get chicks next spring.

The Alameda backyard chicken bicycle tour is coming up! Who's going?

Welcome to you both!
frow.gif
I live in Reno now but am from California. Great to see new people on this thread.
dhoffroad I have chicks that age but I am a little far from you.
sad.png
I hope you find someone close by that can help you out. If not I will be heading to the Bay Area in about a month. If you don't find others before then give me a pm and I'll see what I can do for you.
smile.png

lisascenic you should definitely get some chickens and Bantams are a great way to start. I have ameraucanas (large fowl though) but as mentioned above will not be in your area for awhile anyway. Ameraucanas in general are on the small side. Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
try Split Rail Farms in Penngrove. You can google them...nice folks with a small farm selling pullets.

Quote:
try Split Rail Farms in Penngrove. You can google them...nice folks with a small farm selling pullets.

True, but Jane at Split Rail doesn't usually like to sell them that young...

Welcome! I am in Healdsburg, so just 40 minutes south of you. If Jane doesn't want to , there are folks on the Yahoo group from Sonoma County and area (I know at least one other person from Mendo County...) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chickenchatcoop/
Or
, if you can wait 3 weeks, I will probably have a couple of pullets. You can PM me if you are interested. Probably I would have a Speckled Sussex and a true Ameraucana for sale.

Also, I think there is an AG swap in Ukiah one Sat. of the month and people bring poultry. Anyway, here are some ideas for you!
Cheers,
Dawn

Thanks for the help and offers. I'll look into the places mentioned, and if I need I'll get back to one of you.

Back
Top Bottom