California - Northern

Wow! I can't believe it!

I was cleaning out the pet carrier that Corwin sleeps in at night in the Garage. He walked up to me and crowed. I went back in leaving the side door open and Corwin walked right in and jumped up by the pet carrier. I had to pick him up to put him in but he really is starting to get it.

Soon I will just open the door at night and let him get into his place by himself.

It would be nice if all roosters were this great.

Ron

Quote: I have stuck to the same breeder for nearly everything. It looks like Buff Orpingtons and me were meant to be. I am going to re-evaluate the 3 kinds I will have had until next Spring (I may or may not add a couple banties still). I have Buff Orps, BC Marans (only a couple though) and Ron is selling me a couple EE pullets (woot! so excited! I personally find EEs so darn pretty!) and that's mostly it. I will have maybe 2 mix pullets (black orp/bc marans oops). Allllll the cockerels except for 3 will be eaten, and 1 pullet going to a friend. So I'm not too all over the place I hope. The ages are what's a mess. 4 wks, 6 wks, however old the EE pullets are and then I am picking up a couple BOs that are near laying. I have to find a way to integrate the 4 and 6 week olds.

The coop should be done tonight! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! It's no pretty but it will be DONE! haha
Nice! Post pics soon!

Quote:
Hi Megan,

The Basque are too old to get Cochi. I don't remember how old the Rocks are. I don't give them stuff like that unless they show symptoms. The older they are the less likely they are to die or die quickly form Cochi.

If you have a bag of medicated feed you can give that to them for a week or so. The goal is to keep them healthy as they build up a resistance to Cochi. They get puffed up, walk slowly and don't stand up straight with Cochi. They also will have bloody poo, but if you see that you are really in trouble. If it were me I would watch them. Did you ask Cheryl? She probably has an idea about how likely the Rocks are to getting Cochi(I wonder how many times I can use Cochi in this post
smile.png
).

Corid is a bit pricey but it looks like it would last a very long time. I started giving it to my GL Wyendotte and the EEs he or she is brooding with. The GLW is acting like it might have Cochi.

If they are getting along put them together any time. It's great that they like each other.

Ron
Thanks Ron. We didn't end up buying it after all. I think the Plymouth Rocks are 2-4 months old. I'll ask Cheryl about that. I'm such a worried mom with my chickens! Who woulda thought? :) The Rocks were introduced to the Basques today in the pen. We left the coop door open for more space. There was some chasing going on, and a few pecks, but nothing crazy. When it starting getting dark ALL of them went in to the coop! I couldn't believe it! We're waking up early tomorrow to check on them and open the coop door just in case. We also got a barrel of alfalfa hay today to put in the pen. Ohhh maybe that's why they weren't fighting.. They were too busy eating! Afterthought: good idea! Meeting for the first time:
4b304dcb-6981-4097.jpg
Corid and cocci? Got it! :)

I had a bit of an adventure this morning. I mowed the lawn using my fairly new 36 volt re-chargable lawn mower. This is the second time I have mowed with the goal to give the clippings to the chickens. I was feeling very Environmentally Correct.

Corwin was not impressed however. He thought the lawn mower was the biggist orange predator he had ever seen in his short life.

Here he is at attention after I moved the mower to the front yard:

It was very funny watching him jump at the mower. I had to move him behind me while I was moving it from the side yard to the front to mow. He kept running back to jump on it three times. He also kept crowing to alert the hens to the dangerous beast.

The hens did not pay much attention to him after awhile and enjoyed some snacking:

What a cutie!

Wow! I can't believe it!

I was cleaning out the pet carrier that Corwin sleeps in at night in the Garage. He walked up to me and crowed. I went back in leaving the side door open and Corwin walked right in and jumped up by the pet carrier. I had to pick him up to put him in but he really is starting to get it.

Soon I will just open the door at night and let him get into his place by himself.

It would be nice if all roosters were this great.

Ron
He sounds like a smart chicken! Speaking of crowing, have your Basques started yet?

Help please!!
My last post was a very long mulit-quote comment... Maybe too long...
I could really use some advise right now:
(I got no reply in the emergencies thread!)
one of my 8 week old Columbian Wynadottes is suffering big time & I'd really like to help her make it thru this!
"Gleet" is what I'm dealing with here I guess. She is leaking a smelling white discharge & can't poop!
I feel awful that I thought her little song was a happy one last week & after returning home from Sonoma I see that she is actually in great discomfort.
I have her in a box in the house, gave her marshmallow root & yogurt today w/ rescue remedy in her water.
I wanted to give her an enema today but got nervous after reading online about the anatomy of chickens....
I have only washed her externally & tried to massage her belly a bit w/ no success. Does anyone know anything else I can do or should I just put her out of her misery??
hit.gif

Help please!!
My last post was a very long mulit-quote comment... Maybe too long...
I could really use some advise right now:
(I got no reply in the emergencies thread!)
one of my 8 week old Columbian Wynadottes is suffering big time & I'd really like to help her make it thru this!
"Gleet" is what I'm dealing with here I guess. She is leaking a smelling white discharge & can't poop!
I feel awful that I thought her little song was a happy one last week & after returning home from Sonoma I see that she is actually in great discomfort.
I have her in a box in the house, gave her marshmallow root & yogurt today w/ rescue remedy in her water.
I wanted to give her an enema today but got nervous after reading online about the anatomy of chickens....
I have only washed her externally & tried to massage her belly a bit w/ no success. Does anyone know anything else I can do or should I just put her out of her misery??
hit.gif
Try here! Treatment is listed: http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent Gleet

Thanks Ron. We didn't end up buying it after all. I think the Plymouth Rocks are 2-4 months old. I'll ask Cheryl about that. I'm such a worried mom with my chickens! Who woulda thought? :)
The Rocks were introduced to the Basques today in the pen. We left the coop door open for more space. There was some chasing going on, and a few pecks, but nothing crazy. When it starting getting dark ALL of them went in to the coop! I couldn't believe it! We're waking up early tomorrow to check on them and open the coop door just in case. We also got a barrel of alfalfa hay today to put in the pen. Ohhh maybe that's why they weren't fighting.. They were too busy eating! Afterthought: good idea!
Meeting for the first time:
4b304dcb-6981-4097.jpg

Corid and cocci? Got it! :)

Adorable Meg! The Rocks should be fine at this age against any Cocci you may have there, just examine poo and keep a watchful eye on the flock. They LOVE alfalfa, in fact just put a bale in at the Ranch. See you in the morning...yikes it is morning 4:11am to be precise. Guess there's too much on my mind to sleep

Back
Top Bottom