California - Northern

Thanks Ron!

I'll also have to look into chicken wheat, we got some around here but not organic. We feed it instead of scratch. I have been looking for more whole grains. I found a local feed mill at the heirloom expo but getting a ton from them ( organic) was still more then getting kings, so i was still not sure.

As for shipping, IIRC the fed ex hub for nor cal is Sacramento so even if UC Davis isn't closer to us, its closer to the hub and should be the fastest shipping. I out an ice pack in as well so hopefully she will be ok.

Hope everyone is doing well, looking forward to being less depressing after my davis report.
If the hub is in Sac, then yes, ship to Davis. You should have a report by Thursday at the latest. It is always good to know what happened and what to do. My two, last year and this year were liver rupture and Mareks cancer. One is breed specific and the other I could cut the probability of death by 2% if I vaccinated for mareks.

Ron

Quote: The Cascade feed is the best thing I have used yet. It is not cheap but is non soy and non corn organic. It has fish meal in it!

I have not purchased one in several months, but will rotate it in for them along with the layer pellets from King Feed. I want to get them some animal protein for the molt they are going through. It helps them get the shiny feathers...

Ron

Last edited:
Does anyone know where in northern cal (perferably Bay Area) can I buy fish meal and pelleted kelp? I've been blending my food for a while now and would like more of each of those ingredients without having to pay crazy shipping costs...

Does anyone know where in northern cal (perferably Bay Area) can I buy fish meal and pelleted kelp? I've been blending my food for a while now and would like more of each of those ingredients without having to pay crazy shipping costs...
This is what I get from Azure Standard.

I get the 5 pound bag. They do not have fish meal. Let me know if you find a source.

Ron

Last edited:
(I give them more Groats in the heat--supposed to help them retain water. Kim says wheat can make them hot)

The two hens in my Avatar are my Partridge Rock Hens:

Oats cause heat. Wheat is cooling. This is according to Chinese medicine, which my vet practices.

I really love the partridge pattern. Nice photo Ron!

Hi Alison! Am I remembering your name correctly?
hide.gif

I really need some fish meal, also and am ever on the quest for it! AFAIK there are no NorCal sources. Even the Purina in Turlock stopped putting it in their turkey starter because there's a shortage this year.

A couple years ago, I ordered it from the Fertrell dealer out of WA. The shipping was as much as the 50 lb bag, but the shipping was the same, no matter how many bags I bought because it all came down in a truck from Magill Ranch, that was delivering Cascade feed to Petaluma. The fish meal was about $50. and the shipping was the same. Too bad we are not closer to each other so that we could go in on a shipment.
I noticed Concentrates Inc. in OR also has fish meal. It's about $70. or so, I think. That's why I haven't ordered but I need some!
At Costco, there is a brand of grain free cat & dog food that lists salmon & fish meal in the first ingredients. It's reasonably priced. I've considered buying that for the chickens.
If you do find a source or want to go in on a shipment, let me know.

I was trying to get a good picture of one of my pullets that has really cool coloring I wanted to see what it's called (if anything) but she was moving too fast every time I tried but I did get a shot of all the boys from May hatch. They need a home if anyone is looking for an EE. All the pullets from the same parents are green egg layers. These boys are going to be big like their dad (Big Daddy).

They're the four closest. They're all EE's. The really colorful one all the way to left is the only one w/o puffy cheeks and beard and two have pea combs, the far right and the one in the middle.

The girl I was trying to post is in the background on the left.

Here's a poor lighting picture of her but her grandmother was a Light Brahma, her mom Ameraucana/Light Brahma and her, back to the Ameraucana roo. The brownish body part looks penciled. Wish I could get a better picture of her, she's really pretty and her and one of the cockerels has almost salmon colored wattles and comb.

Does Costco have a version of the cat food that is small, like kitten food? The big size requires mashing.

I don't think so. My chickens unfortunately don't have any problems scarfing down cat food.

If you're just looking for a supplement feed, how about Koi Food?

I looked at all the ingredients and didn't like some of them. I'm very picky about avoiding certain ingredients. I think it had chicken or porcine meal or mineral oil in it. The only meat or meat by product that I'll feed my livestock & poultry is fish, unless it's from my own animals. I have to know where the meat actually came from (except fish) so that it's not feedlot or factory farm by products. I also avoid feeding petroleum products like mineral oil.

Back
Top Bottom