California - Northern

Quote: Azure Standard in Oregon delivers Co Op type products via a truck route once a month. They also grow grains and run a Mill.One time last year they did not have the layer crumble in stock, so they sent me a free bag of Chicken Wheat. It is a Feed quality Organic wheat that they grow on Mt. Hood. It is not good enough for grinding but plenty good enough for the chickens to eat. The price is about $14.00 for 50 pounds. I mix it up with Omega booster, diatomaceous earth and sea kelp granules. The chickens go crazy for it and the eggs are very nice.

They get a feeder of the Chicken Wheat or Groats(I give them more Groats in the heat--supposed to help them retain water. Kim says wheat can make them hot) for every feeder of King Feed Natural non soy non corn layer crumbles. They seem to be fine.

The two hens in my Avatar are my Partridge Rock Hens:

Ron

Not looking at that incubator, not looking at that incubator.

Is that an incubator you're looking at?
big_smile.png

Those partridge Rocks are awesome!
Their lacing looks kind of like a barnevelders lacing.

How do you get feed from Azure? Do you have to schedule a pick up?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
I am really liking the Partridge pattern. I also have a Partridge Penedescenca that is coming along nicely.

Route K3 goes down I5 today. You have to either find someone with a Drop near you and join them or set up your own drop. Go to their website and call them. Tell them you want to join a drop and they will find one for you if there is an open one. They have a lot more than grains. I bought Apricots from them a couple of months ago. This Month I am getting Cascade layer, Cocoa Powder, Flouride free toothpaste and coconut oil from them. It is like a natural food store too.

It is once a month but there are at least two routes that go through Redding

Ron

Last edited:
Ok, my for sures:
cream legbars
rhodebars
blue laced red wyandottes
gold laced orps
jubilee orps
speckled sussex
some silkies/sizzles, need to choose my favorite color options as they only get one pen!
swedish flower hens
That's realistically 12 pens right there, plus I need a grow out pen or two getting me to 14, layer pen and freezer pens getting me to 16, a revolving breeder pen for things I want to mess around with 17. That leaves me only 5 more pens and I'm full to the brim. I have to pick only 5!!!! of what's below. Oh man. this is painful!

my maybes:
marraduna basque
french blue copper marans
brahmas
MF leghorns
lemon cuckoo orps
polish
cochins
blue ameracaunas
BBS orps
hamburgs
french salmon faverolles
olive eggers

likely sales:
some brahma varieties
light sussex
silver wyandottes
easter eggers

I'm drowning in chickens and need to focus, focus, focus!!!

WHAT Jeff no isbars???....I've got a black quad from Greenfire that probably need to go to your place!!

Actually I've never been happier now that I've focused down to 5 breeds!!! It really helps me look at each breed carefully and cull appropriately. Maybe I'm just easier confused!!
big_smile.png

I'm working to get my breeds in at least 5-8 dedicated breeders so that they can in the long run get accepted in the APA. It's very fun sharing them!

Last edited:
I am really liking the Partridge pattern. I also have a Partridge Penedescenca that is coming along nicely. 

Route K3 goes down I5 today. You have to either find someone with a Drop near you and join them or set up your own drop. Go to their website and call them. Tell them you want to join a drop and they will find one for you if there is an open one. They have a lot more than grains. I bought Apricots from them a couple of months ago. This Month I am getting Cascade layer, Cocoa Powder, Flouride free toothpaste and coconut oil from them. It is like a natural food store too.

It is once a month but there are at least two routes that go through Redding

Ron

That is really cool! I definitely have to get up on that.
Is it expensive compared to buying feed locally? Like the "farmers best" brand. They probably carry all real high quality products though?

Thanks Ron!

I'll also have to look into chicken wheat, we got some around here but not organic. We feed it instead of scratch. I have been looking for more whole grains. I found a local feed mill at the heirloom expo but getting a ton from them ( organic) was still more then getting kings, so i was still not sure.

As for shipping, IIRC the fed ex hub for nor cal is Sacramento so even if UC Davis isn't closer to us, its closer to the hub and should be the fastest shipping. I out an ice pack in as well so hopefully she will be ok.

Hope everyone is doing well, looking forward to being less depressing after my davis report.

Ron, love your New Avatar.
smile.png
Beautiful Birds...
That incubator you are looking at looks like a great one..
smile.png

Deb, how are your new peeps doing?

When I went to bed last night, there was one Lakenvelder and one blue Silkie. This morning when I got up, the one Lakenvelder (there were only two eggs and the second didn't look viable at lockdown) and seven silkies, including two PAINTS. I am so excited!!! Right now there are six more pips.

Quote: ha, ha, glad someone else has made about 10 different lists that amounted to nothing. at least writing it on here is a bit more of a commitment for me!

I have done this countless times. But I usually make the list, draw a graph of my pens and then pencil in everyone where they'll fit and see who is left over. My goal is to have every breed/variety in their own pen, with a few extra pens for growout/culls/breeding specific pairs. I only have 23 pens to work with at the moment.
hide.gif

Deb

Back
Top Bottom