California - Northern

You have a Delaware too?

Yes, only one of those hatched. Do you notice that some of the Dork chicks are a different color? I think that they are Reds or Coloreds. That tells me that my new rooster comes from mixed varieties. So I can't use him.
barnie.gif
Those chicks will need to go, too. I think all the Dork chicks are pullets, because of the dark heads & eyeliner.

Is that a broody brown leghorn?
th.gif

And wow, that is nice lacing on the Partridge Rock for being from a hatchery. I considered moving to Partridge Rocks for breeding, but my love of Barnevelders won out, so I will continue with them instead.

I love broodies in ones and two's, but 3 at once is a bit much to ask and requires some special attention. (lost a chick with 2 broodies that were fighting over chicks) I've had 8 broodies total this year and I'm really hoping for a little break.

Is that a broody brown leghorn?
th.gif

That is a very bad example of a Red Dorking! She's from Sand Hill Preservation Center. Don't order Dorkings from there if you want good type or correct color. (I ordered Silvers.)
They do go broody, though. That poor hen sat on eggs, prior to these. When they hatched, they were killed. Maybe from the other hens. So I gave her more eggs in a dog crate. She sat a total of 6 weeks to finally get those chicks. I shouldn't criticize her looks, since she's such a good mama. She's now raising those chicks all by herself in the farrowing barn.

Back
Top Bottom