California-Southern

Hello everyone from Escondido! I’m looking for a few pullets, which I know can be a long shot. :)
Hi, we are neighbors. I am in San Marcos. I just saw a post selling 5 pullets and a rooster, I believe, on Craigslist. I think seller said they are about 5 months old, and I remember thinking the price was very reasonable

Hey y’all! I’m in the San Diego area of California, Poway to be exact. There’s a chance I may be going into life saving Kidney Transplant surgery and need help finding someone willing and able to tend to a flock of 4 ducks. They’re back yard hooligans. I checked with my vet today after I heard the news, and they told me to call back Monday to speak with a specific doctor. I may be a wee bit incapacitated by then. Are there any Duck lovers in this part of the world willing and able to check in on my duckies from time to time? I will gladly over-compensate you for time, expenses, gas, etc.

Good luck with your surgery! Will be thinking of you. And happy you may have found someone willing to help with your "backyard hooligans" lol. We live two hours away from you, otherwise would be happy to pet sit.

Hi SoCal peeps! I’m in the city of Chatsworth - in the San Fernando Valley north of LA.

Anyone have any trusted resources for ‘washed construction sand’ (the kind like used in coops and pens) near the LA area? I’d like to spread it in my run and don’t know too much about the stuff would be nice to order from some place that knew what I was asking for.

Hi SoCal peeps! I’m in the city of Chatsworth - in the San Fernando Valley north of LA.

Anyone have any trusted resources for ‘washed construction sand’ (the kind like used in coops and pens) near the LA area? I’d like to spread it in my run and don’t know too much about the stuff would be nice to order from some place that knew what I was asking for.

We just "remodeled" our coop and run with sand. Our coop is down a flight of stairs in the backyard and hard to access, so we ordered bags of non-sandbox construction sand from Lowe's and had it delivered. We then carried the 50lb bags down to the coop. It was pretty labor-intensive and the bags were inexpensive, but not as cheap as having non-bagged sand delivered, although so far we love the sand. It looks great (so much cleaner than wood chips, which look messy imho) and we use a big cat letterbox scoop to clean it. My only concern is that BYCers report that when it starts raining the sand begins smelling really bad. I try to clean ours every day (easy with the litter scoop), so hopefully that won't be the case. Good luck!

We just "remodeled" our coop and run with sand. Our coop is down a flight of stairs in the backyard and hard to access, so we ordered bags of non-sandbox construction sand from Lowe's and had it delivered. We then carried the 50lb bags down to the coop. It was pretty labor-intensive and the bags were inexpensive, but not as cheap as having non-bagged sand delivered, although so far we love the sand. It looks great (so much cleaner than wood chips, which look messy imho) and we use a big cat letterbox scoop to clean it. My only concern is that BYCers report that when it starts raining the sand begins smelling really bad. I try to clean ours every day (easy with the litter scoop), so hopefully that won't be the case. Good luck!
That’s awesome - do you have any images of the run/coop where you have the sand?? We don’t get much rain in SoCal so maybe the smell won’t be an issue for a majority of the year! I also would have to hand carry or use wheelbarrows to move any sand from the front bc there isn’t any vehicle access to the backyard... it’s been discouraging me from taking the leap.

I'm at work today, but will definitely send photos of the coop and run when I can! The dirt was really uneven down there and the wood chips looked terrible. I just think sand looks so much cleaner.

Will your chickens get to free range? Ours free range during the day, so they have plenty of time to peck around in dirt before getting locked up at night. It definitely wasn't fun to hand carry the 50 lb sand bags down to the coop myself, but the bags make it so much easier than it would have been to get loose sand into buckets and then carry the buckets down. I would go for the pre-bagged sand if you can for your backyard set up.

I'm at work today, but will definitely send photos of the coop and run when I can! The dirt was really uneven down there and the wood chips looked terrible. I just think sand looks so much cleaner.

Will your chickens get to free range? Ours free range during the day, so they have plenty of time to peck around in dirt before getting locked up at night. It definitely wasn't fun to hand carry the 50 lb sand bags down to the coop myself, but the bags make it so much easier than it would have been to get loose sand into buckets and then carry the buckets down. I would go for the pre-bagged sand if you can for your backyard set up.
I let them free range in the back yard if I’m outside with them - usually a few hours a day. We live near the foothills in the San Fernando Valley and have a ton of hawks always circling... I would loose my mind if I lost a hen to a hawk 😓 they stay close to me in the yard when out. Following me around the yard and digging in the garden it’s cute.

Back
Top Bottom