California Tan from TSC

That would be the mix for California Whites. Not a new mix at all.

The California Tans is something new to me.
I read on a post on Facebook that they were breeding California Whites and realized they were a bit more tan, hence California Tan. I emailed Hoover Hatchery and they the information on the California Tans is not available.

I just got 4 replacement California Tan chicks, for the 4 out of 5 chicks in the last batch I bought from TSC who all died in sudden and rapid succession. In that batch I had 1 black Australorp, 2 Sapphire Gems and 2 Rhode Island Reds. The lone survivor was one Rhode Island. I know nothing about them, but was desperate to get new chicks for my lone chick whom I have been having to be her flock mate, day and night.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I went mad cleaning and changing everything in their brooder, which I have in the house in my office and is draft free.

Thank goodness they at least had some of these as pullets and looked pretty active, so finger's crossed that they all grow up and give me eggs. This was the first time I have purchased chicks from TSC, not sure I will do it in the future as not much selection and with such a huge mortality rate.

I just got 4 replacement California Tan chicks, for the 4 out of 5 chicks in the last batch I bought from TSC who all died in sudden and rapid succession. In that batch I had 1 black Australorp, 2 Sapphire Gems and 2 Rhode Island Reds. The lone survivor was one Rhode Island. I know nothing about them, but was desperate to get new chicks for my lone chick whom I have been having to be her flock mate, day and night.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I went mad cleaning and changing everything in their brooder, which I have in the house in my office and is draft free.

Thank goodness they at least had some of these as pullets and looked pretty active, so finger's crossed that they all grow up and give me eggs. This was the first time I have purchased chicks from TSC, not sure I will do it in the future as not much selection and with such a huge mortality rate.
Knock on wood...I have always had success with the TSC on my town. Sorry about all your babies, I have heard some bad stories. Good luck with your new chickies.

Sometimes it's just bad luck. Last time a friend and I got a large batch of chicks from a small, reputable hatchery we've bought from before, and they all looked fine on arrival but we lost a couple dozen within 24 hours. Hatchery guessed they were mishandled at the post office; it was late in the season so they reimbursed us rather than sending replacements.

Came here with the same question about the California Tans. I was guessing they're a similar hybrid to the Whites since the chicks look the same, but if they're new this year I guess no one has any experience with them.

I read on a post on Facebook that they were breeding California Whites and realized they were a bit more tan, hence California Tan. I emailed Hoover Hatchery and they the information on the California Tans is not available.
That sounds plausible. Maybe they had a specific line that was laying eggs with a slight tint but still productive so they rebranded them.

Back
Top Bottom