Californian Meat Rabbit Grow-Out Thread... **Picture Heavy**

dont know how good they will be....only experimentation will dictate that...but it surely wouldnt hurt to breed that way. its considered linebreeding.

Quote:
I'm thinking about experimenting a little but I need to make some room
droolin.gif

im stilll in the experimentation stage myself. using three different breeds of rabbits. but im about through. when i have more time, i'll break it down for others to read, and get their thoughts and opinions on.

My doe Sweet Pea had her kits 2 weeks early!!! She must have bred when I wasn't looking!!! I went out there today and there was 7 new babies! They were warm and pink but not as fat as the first litter I have... I'm amazed!!!
ep.gif

Quote:
i strted out using American Chin. crossed on NZ. great cross. but i got quite a bit of dark colored rabbits.......... even better at 3/4 Nz 1/4 AC but still a few colored rabbits. then i got into the californian game. wanted to experiment with them over the NZ. b/c i figured the commercial world knows what they are doing. ive had only a few litters bred 1/2 Calf. 1/2 nz and ive been vry pleased with these. id say they are equivalent to the AC X NZ....but w/o all the colored offspring. most folks and the processors want white rabbits for meat rabbits. and i gotta be honest from my litters, the white ones grew better and better meated carcasses than the full bro/sis colored rabbits.

so im sold on either cross. but leaning toward the calf.X nz b/c of white offspring.

i tried calfXAC and the outcome is not good. slow growth and less meat on carcass

i tried 3/4 AC 1/4 Nz and they came out like pure AC...worthless and alot of internal fat.

pure Nz is a good route to go.

pure calf. was a disappointment. from my experience they need crossing

pure AC is good for nothing but to look at.

so from my experiences....the secret to meat rabbits is the nz bloodline. it is good enuff pure, and improves the crosses. w/o the Nz blood, the crosses were pointless from a meat rabbit viewpoint, and worthless from a cost standpoint.

but....the AC and the Calf. improves the personality and temperment of the NZ. so if meat isnt your only stipulation....than one of these other options may suit someone.

so with all this said..........im now going with a Calif. buck thats built like brick. bred to longer leaner looking NZ does. quick growing kits. early to wean, thick chunky bodies with solid white meat and lots of it. and little to no fat at 12-14 wks of age ...plus they are good to look at too.

Last edited:
plus i forgot to add...the NZ does will breed at 3-4 months of age.

the californians didnt want to breed till 6 months of age. alot of wasted time, feed, and pen space growing a doe that long w/o any production from her.

Quote:
i gotta be honest from my litters, the white ones grew better and better meated carcasses than the full bro/sis colored rabbits.

I'm new but it seems my solid colors are growing better than my broken

Back
Top Bottom