Call color/gender?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by justmeandtheflock, Jun 25, 2010.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have 5 call ducklings about 8 weeks old. I think I have an idea of who is what but hoping some you experts could confirm or set me straight [​IMG] I forgot what color the guy told me the blue ones were when I bought them [​IMG]

These 2 are the same duckling. I am guessing snowy duck. This one was sick and it is much smaller than the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a group of 4 more. The two middle dubklings are both blue/cream colored. The black one is quacking so I am going with mixed color duck. It is larder than the others so it could be older. The other 3 are still peeping so I am guessing they are all drakes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

First one looks like a snowy to me...

3. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Thanks [​IMG] I'm guessing one on the right in the group pic (same as the last pic) is a snowy drake.

I can't find any pics that look like the blue ones but since they are still peeping, I'm guessing drakes for now.

4. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Could they be blue magpie?

5. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

wow how cool is that! one looks like a seagull! [​IMG] i want one lol

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:I think so. In the group picture, the first three from left to right I'd call Black Bibbed, and two Blue Magpies.

7. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Thank you for the replies [​IMG] It does look like a seagull, lol

From the few pictures of blue magpie that I can find it looks like I am going to have to wait to heat their voices. I have a gray pair that are a few weeks olderand the drake just got his voice in the last week or 2. If I have 4 drakes and 3 ducks I will have to rehome some of the drakes [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    That is actually the picture that helped me figure out blue magpie [​IMG] I found another set of pictures of a male and female and they both look the same to me. I am holding out hope that they are at least a pair. What do you think on the snowys?

10. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Mrs. Turbo :

can't find a picture to upload at the moment, but here is a link to one of my sons blue magpie hens..... she is at the very bottom of the page

http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/snowymagpiecallduck.htm

Hey, Mrs. Turbo, maybe you can answer a question for me - I read somewhere that you get the Magpie pattern by breeding a Pied bird to a Bibbed bird - is that correct?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by