Call Duck House and Pen

JessicaRichens

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
I'm thinking about getting call ducks. I plan on having about twelve. What size pen would they need? How much space is needed per call duck? How big should their house be and what are the dimensions for nesting boxes? Thanks for any information.

I want it to be large enough to not have to free range them. Although, I will probably let them out to free range when I'm at home on the weekends.

Ok for 12 call ducks it would have to be larger than 100' by 12' becuase I have 5 calls and their pen is 90' by 12' and it's just big enough to stay a healthy environment.

What color call ducks do you have? I think I want snowy, but I like gray and white too. I'm not that familiar with the other colors. Do they all have the same temperament?

That sounds like a large pen, but I guess it's because of the shape. The area I'm planning on using is rectangular.

Do you have call ducks for mainly pets or do you breed them? Do you have an estimate for the number of eggs you get each year?

I use a large dog run... for my biggest flock... they don't use nest boxes and i have several raised houses, they do just fine with this set up... i got three clutches this year... and i typically can leave the mothers to raise their own... i actually just added back A mama and her 3 kids...

All my calls are full flight, so i net the tops of pens... i also have a trio i free range... because they were imprinted on us humans, they transitioned better to the free range flock than the call flocks...

Last edited:
What color call ducks do you have? I think I want snowy, but I like gray and white too. I'm not that familiar with the other colors. Do they all have the same temperament?

That sounds like a large pen, but I guess it's because of the shape. The area I'm planning on using is rectangular.

Do you have call ducks for mainly pets or do you breed them? Do you have an estimate for the number of eggs you get each year?
Not addressed to me, but i'll toss my 2 cents in anyways lol.

While i do not have much in way of colors myself i have not found temperament to vary based on it, I mainly have greys and blue fawn.... mine typically lay in spring and are done before the dog days of summer, this year they laid liked crazy! we've been in a heat wave and drought ... i got several clutches this year.

I have a magpie coloration, a snowy coloration, a white and snowy mix coloration, and 2 grey's. Temperament is all dependent on the duck's personality. I got 3 clutches this year one from each female. But egg wise I got a lot, so many that I lost count(Probably about 90 eggs in all)! I raise them both for breeding and for pets. I have show quality birds though.

And yes the area I was speaking of is also rectangular. I very much recommend researching aviaries!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom