Call Duck Wing Clipping

greenrooster

Chirping
Oct 18, 2016
Kerry.Ireland
Hi guys,when clipping any bird before I always just clipped one wing believing that this takes the bird off balance and thy they can't fly,however today I purchased a pair of call ducks and the guy that I bought them from an elderly man who it would appear to have more knowledge than myself cut both wings on both birds insisting to me that this was correct procedure, now I'm confused
1f623.png
1f623.png
1f623.png

Old timer just has an older opinion. Clipping both, bird definitely wont fly. Clipping one, bird will try to fly but will not be able to do much good. I only clipped wing feathers on new arrivals of adult birds so they would not initially escape. After the feathers grew back, the hens were already settled in and I did not need to clip again. Those that do not want their flighty chickens to fly into neighbors yard over fence, do just one wing and have success.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Not sure if it's the same.... my exotics only get 1 clipped. This prevents them from flying off. They may take off but the uneven wings has them glide to ground whereas clipping both wings will damage their breast if they catch a draft and try to fly. With NO flight feathers they can hit the ground rather hard! But again this is what I do with my parrots....

Back
Top Bottom