Call duck wing tips sticking out

Is it possible to fix angel wing in an adult duck? Mine had it pretty bad as a duckling but the vet wrapped it. The bandage fell off one wing too soon, so now she's got one normal wing and one that sticks out a little funky. It's not bad, and she certainly doesn't seem to care, but it just looks odd. Anyway, the feathers on that wing just molted, so I'm wondering if I can wrap it now that the new feathers are coming in.

Mmmm this I am not sure of, but it is worth ago as it is not cruel or anything. Here in Australia we have a product called Micropore, it is just a basic white or brown tape used in the medical field and at home, it is sticky like but not overl sticky, but did stick to the feathers a bit, but I just wrapped around once and under the wing that didn't need doing so she had one wing free, then as you will need to go around a couple of times to secure it I tried to go over the tape that I just put around and not too much on the feathers. We buy it from the pharmacy and it is cheap. it will stick to the feathers, but when it is time to get off we put her in the pool and let her wet t and then just pulled very slowly and cut it away, you need another helper to assist but it works wonders and stays on. I changed mine and gave our duck a day of having it off and then taped it again at night for another 3 days and within the 6 days her angel wing problem had resolved.

I know you said yours duck is an adult and yeah you are right it doesn't seem to bother them, but it does limit them a bit and they do get the wing that sticks out caught on things etc, I have read the earlier you get onto it the better, and maybe you will need to do for a good week maybe two and just give her a break from the tape once every 3 days, then re wrap at night again for another 3 days etc....It would be good to give it ago and see if you can cure if not improve it dramatically? I also give a day break and re tape to allow for the growth of the wing and for the new feathers etc etc etc and it is nice for the bird to have some freedom. Mine didn't worry about the tape all and I didn't do it tight I just made sure the wing was in a natural as possible position....

Good luck from down under and look forward to hearing how it all goes...

Thanks for your support Miss Lydia, in my response to the angel wing, I have had an excellent teacher/mentor-YOU. I am never really that confident in giving advice, but in this instance I have had some success and that was due to your knowledge and continued information sharing!, so thought I should put in my success story

Back
Top Bottom