1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Erki, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think 5 would be beyond "house" lol I have the 2 calls in the house, their just 3wks old... they get out in the house.. penned! and they are ok, they are super small, i mean a 3wk 'scovie would be a nightmare in my house but these guys aren't much worse than a rabbit...

Not that they are house ducks! they think they are, sadly they are a touch imprinted i think.... sigh... i am hoping they'll chill as they age out.

2. Erki

Erki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Hmmm .. still trying to figure out if Erki is a male or female. The feathers are really starting to come in great. The breast is a dark butterscotch color and the belly area is very pale creamy white.. but the wings and on the tail are like a greyish purple . The head is going to be a butterscotch color like the breast area .
    What does it sound like to you folks ? Male .. female doesn't matter to us.. we are just curious as to the sex and what you consider the color to be ? Thank you

3. Erki

Erki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is what we think Erki is going to look like . I'm hoping..so beautiful. I think his or her color will be more like the one in the back.. I'm assuming thats a male ?

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    . I'm not trying to discourage, just want to make sure you're fully aware of what you're getting into. Heck, I've had house pekin ducks for periods of times! Ducks are awesome and I love my calls the most (don't tell the others) but no way they are coming in if they are going to scream their little ducky heads off as loud as possible. If I had some quiet hens I would let them in the house, but that probably would end in divorce...lol

5. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Those are both females in that pic. This are pastels, which is what I believe yours is. I'll be back with a drake pastel pic.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  6. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How old is it? shouldn't you be hearing distinct voice differences by about 5wks or so? Mine are only 3wks + so while noises are a bit differing not enough for me to say, boy/girl lol

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'll echo the loud part! mine are just little and man, are they LOUD you can hear them standing outside the house. fortunately, i have a macaw so noise is hardly at a low level here anyways, but i cannot imagine that going off in a more residential area, we're rural so it makes no difference.

9. Zombified

Zombified Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Kentucky, USA
    A Macaw AND Call Ducks?! Good grief! One of the reasons I decided to forgo the idea of getting a Call for Pyrrhos's companion was because of the warnings against the noise. I love noise and stuff, since my dog is so freaking quiet(it gets lonely, having only South Park in the background lolol), but Mallards are enough for me! If I get a little bit irked whenever Pyrrhos screams at me for leaving her(even though I admit it's also adorable) I can't even begin to imagine what I'd feel with a Call Duck AND a Macaw lol! My dad had a young African Grey that liked to scream and yell, too(she flew away, sadly </3).

Anyways, I don't really have anything to add to this conversation, as I have zero experience with Calls other than things I've read. I just find it amazing and pretty admirable that someone can live with a Macaw and really loud ducks. XD

EDIT:
    I do want to say, though, those ducklings are SO cute! And those pastels are absolutely beautiful - female AND male! :)

10. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Ha, yep, that made me laugh! You must have quite a tolerance for noise! [​IMG]

The other day, my boyfriend was out late at night while I was at home listening to music with my female call duck. When he came back home, he said to me, "I really loved how, even from far away, I could hear the duck squawking and you singing, as I approached the house." So, that was a slightly embarrassing moment for both of us. [​IMG]

If you don't mind the noise, keeping a call duck inside can be very fun and rewarding. Just be prepared to get woken up early sometimes and have to take phone calls outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by