Call ducks hatching early?

Came back to check on the eggs this morning, 3/6 are visibly pushing on the membrane but no one has pierced the membrane yet. The eggs are currently at work where I will not have access over the weekend. Based on your expertise, should I risk taking the incubator home? Home is about a 15 minute drive.
I would. Wrap it up well in towels and make sure it doesn't get jostled around.

They do pick the most inconvenient times to hatch...

Came back to check on the eggs this morning, 3/6 are visibly pushing on the membrane but no one has pierced the membrane yet. The eggs are currently at work where I will not have access over the weekend. Based on your expertise, should I risk taking the incubator home? Home is about a 15 minute drive.
I’d also say yes.
I’d take the eggs out and snuggle them in a bowl/container padded with a towel, with separation between eggs so they don’t bang together. Cover the eggs, but 15-20 minutes will be comparable to mom getting off the eggs each day, so no problem there.
Depending on the quality of the parents (show quality vs pet quality) the more show typey ducklings can have trouble hatching without assistance.

If you have never done an assisted hatch, I’d suggest this article as good reading.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Some folks don’t want to assist, some do. But being prepared is the best way to decide.

I would. Wrap it up well in towels and make sure it doesn't get jostled around.

They do pick the most inconvenient times to hatch.

I’d also say yes.
I’d take the eggs out and snuggle them in a bowl/container padded with a towel, with separation between eggs so they don’t bang together. Cover the eggs, but 15-20 minutes will be comparable to mom getting off the eggs each day, so no problem there.
Depending on the quality of the parents (show quality vs pet quality) the more show typey ducklings can have trouble hatching without assistance.

If you have never done an assisted hatch, I’d suggest this article as good reading.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Some folks don’t want to assist, some do. But being prepared is the best way to decide.
Thank you both so much for your recommendations! I have hatched call ducks twice in the past, and am not opposed to helping when I see a duckling in trouble. The tough part is always knowing when to step in and when to wait. I will read over the article and update when something changes.

Home safe and the eggs are rocking around. One has internally pipped but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. It is not opening and closing so I do not think it is a bill. Any chance it's malpositioned? I've set an alarm for 11hrs for now to make a safety hole (will be 18hrs after I first noticed the internal pip). Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230602_171332.jpg
    20230602_171332.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 9
Home safe and the eggs are rocking around. One has internally pipped but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. It is not opening and closing so I do not think it is a bill. Any chance it's malpositioned? I've set an alarm for 11hrs for now to make a safety hole (will be 18hrs after I first noticed the internal pip). Any advice would be appreciated!
Looks fine! That’s a normal internal pip. You are seeing the bill. You could easily have an external pip in the morning.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. They're here! First hatched on Sunday, last hatched late Wednesday night. I assisted them all by chipping off outer shell once I saw the veins recede and once the bill chewing motion stopped. All fluffy, healthy, and happy! All 6 eggs that went into lockdown hatched.
20230608_170910.jpg

Attachments

• 20230608_132303.jpg
    20230608_132303.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much for your help and advice. They're here! First hatched on Sunday, last hatched late Wednesday night. I assisted them all by chipping off outer shell once I saw the veins recede and once the bill chewing motion stopped. All fluffy, healthy, and happy! All 6 eggs that went into lockdown hatched.
View attachment 3536294
Grats!

Back
Top Bottom