Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
Hiya, so I am a chicken owner looking into getting ducks in the next few years. I’ve heard that Call ducks are a good breed, but I know almost nothing about them.
What are they for? (Meat, eggs, neither?)
How do they behave?
If I put them in our garden, would they eat all the plants?

Thank you everybody!!! :)

They're ornamental :) They aren't really big enough to be considered a meat breed, nor do they lay enough eggs to be an egg breed.

They are, however, very friendly, very pretty, fun little ducks. If you just want some cute pets that will lay some eggs for you, but not a ton of eggs, they are a good breed choice.

what are they for? Whimsy. I got them to have as pets vs the working larger ducks flocks. They are hardy little buggers but caution, females are LOUD(hence the call duck title lol) They also fly, like full on proper flight. They adore water and swim in all sorts of weather.

I have bred and kept them for years. I'll see if i have a pic handy. This is honeycrisp, had her years she's raised many a baby too, actually she had one this year lol.

IMG_5392.JPG

ETA; as for plants, well they are ducks but their size makes them less destructive. However i wouldn't exactly trust them in a full on flower garden. :p

Back
Top Bottom