Calling All Buff Orpington Lovers!

Do you own Buff Orpington's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, where did you hear that?
They're a large breed - perhaps more prone to leg problems due to their weight, but I haven't heard anything specific.

I'd never considered them a large breed, but then when I was keeping them they were still considered a rare/endangered breed so ... maybe they've been bred up since then? I can't remember where I got mine. It would most likely have been Meyer, Murray McMurray, or Cackle. A friend and I split an order of 25, he took 13 and I took 12. It was about 25 years ago.

I did not know you could order chicks from Tractor Supply! They didn't have Tractor Supply where I grew up. And I've never seen anything about them the couple of times I've been in one here lately.

If you got your Buff Orpingtons from Tractor Supply, how did that go for you? Were there problems with survival or anything? How do they handle replacement if you lose one in the first couple of days? I'd much rather get 10 for almost a dollar apiece less than any of the mail order places I've ever dealt with, in order to avoid high shipping you have to buy 25 and I only need/want 5 or 6.

I'd never considered them a large breed, but then when I was keeping them they were still considered a rare/endangered breed so ... maybe they've been bred up since then? I can't remember where I got mine. It would most likely have been Meyer, Murray McMurray, or Cackle. A friend and I split an order of 25, he took 13 and I took 12. It was about 25 years ago.

I did not know you could order chicks from Tractor Supply! They didn't have Tractor Supply where I grew up. And I've never seen anything about them the couple of times I've been in one here lately.

If you got your Buff Orpingtons from Tractor Supply, how did that go for you? Were there problems with survival or anything? How do they handle replacement if you lose one in the first couple of days? I'd much rather get 10 for almost a dollar apiece less than any of the mail order places I've ever dealt with, in order to avoid high shipping you have to buy 25 and I only need/want 5 or 6.
Orps are definitely a large breed. They're puffy and fluffy and muscly. You might have gotten production Orps. And hatchery Orps will be noticeably less padded. So again will American Orpingtons.

I have never ordered birds from a hatchery, so I've no idea. Plenty of people on here do though.

I remember hearing some years ago that Orpingtons don't live as long as most breeds - since I've had mainly Orpingtons, I'm still working out if that's true. They've lived as long as the other breeds, so far.
Although I will say that I have an overweight Orp hen at the moment. I free range most of mine, but she was in a group that doesn't get out as much. I can imagine boredom will lead them to park themselves by the feeder. They do enjoy their food, that's for sure.

I used to not want to buff orplingtons... But my new boyfriend wanted them... So I got. Okay backtrack....drama...... My ex boyfriend wanted butt orplingtons. I wanted to see all the rage.... I heard they are good momma birds. Broody. 2.5 weeks old and they are cute. Taller than other rir girls.
Butt Orplingtons? Do you use auto correct?

Last edited:
I don't have any now, and haven't in some time but I love buff orpingtons, I'll always have a soft spot for them. They're a classic, the perfect beginner chicken I feel like. Some of my favorites have been buffs, they're so sweet.

Here's some photos of my past ones, this is Cluck Norris
CluckNorris1.JPG

This was Henny Penny, probably by far the sweetest chicken I've ever had, and was my favorite for years. I'll miss her dearly.

HennyPenny1.JPG
HennyPenny2.JPG

Then some miscellaneous photos

IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG

I love my buffs! and my long thought to be pure buff orp pullet, is actually a buff orp RIR mix, which explains why she is smaller than my pure buff orp hen, and her eggs will be darker.

I didn’t expect to love my buff Orpingtons, but I do! the feed store didn’t have the penedesencas but I needed 12 chicks, so I got two. They’re so calm, curious, trusting, and sweet. So many people told me they had Buff Orpingtons they loved before I got chickens and I was like, eh, it’s a chicken. Of course, now I’m super attached to all my chickens, but I definitely get the hype about the Orpingtons.

this is Buff-O. She definitely hangs out closest to me. She’s really low on the pecking order but she’s learned that if she pays attention, I’ll put treats right in front of her.

1348A765-BB1A-4941-9A70-20D1E0E0D377.jpeg

A9F5EC91-56C5-4BB8-BAD4-31FF0A8B329E.jpeg

700A1772-20A1-4F13-811C-C6A535331DD3.jpeg

and Buffy. So floofy!
CA7808B0-163A-4B47-864B-9231D3BA0DFA.jpeg

37B1B72C-F081-4FAB-ACE1-CDF2788B729E.jpeg

I didn’t want to name them until I was positive they were female, and the temporary names stuck. 😆

Question for all of you Orp owners: How often do your ladies lay? In all the books I've read, they're supposed to lay about 2-3 times a week, whereas mine lays every single day. She's missed TWO days since she started.

Mine haven't completely started up since their winter break, but they usually lay almost everyday! Maybe they miss 1 or 2 days a week. It depends. :)

Back
Top Bottom