Calling all cold climate Serama owners

Suzi18

Crossing the Road
Apr 4, 2017
Sandusky Ohio
I live in Northern Ohio, right on Lake Erie and as you all know we can get some brutal weather. I have 5 Seramas and this will be there first winter. I also have 12 other chickens of various shapes, sizes and breeds. Last winter I tarped the entire run and in a sense turned it into a giant coop. I left some open space around the very top for ventilation and my chickens did just fine, even the Bantams. I have read about people who move their Seramas inside or put them in a heated coop and others who have left them outside in a dry, draft free coop and they did just fine. Even in cold climates like mine.

I'm hoping to hear from other Serama owners and find out how you have handled them in cold weather.

I live in Northern Ohio, right on Lake Erie and as you all know we can get some brutal weather. I have 5 Seramas and this will be there first winter. I also have 12 other chickens of various shapes, sizes and breeds. Last winter I tarped the entire run and in a sense turned it into a giant coop. I left some open space around the very top for ventilation and my chickens did just fine, even the Bantams. I have read about people who move their Seramas inside or put them in a heated coop and others who have left them outside in a dry, draft free coop and they did just fine. Even in cold climates like mine.

I'm hoping to hear from other Serama owners and find out how you have handled them in cold weather.
I personally do not own them but I am familiar with the breed. As I was researching and considering getting them. I don't know that I would risk it. As I do know it can get very cold there.

I personally do not own them but I am familiar with the breed. As I was researching and considering getting them. I don't know that I would risk it. As I do know it can get very cold there.
I did buy a sweeter heater for their coop so hopefully that will be enough. We have been having nights in the 30s and when I open their coop they come right out......not seemingly bothered in the least by the cold.

Please be aware by using a heater they will not be acclimated to the cold. If you loose power your birds will more than likely die. Something that will just take the edge off should be fine.
That's all a sweeter heater does. It doesn't change the temp in the coop. It just warms them if they stand or roost under it or next to it....depending on how you hang it

We here in NC arnt as cold as y'all are but with the added humidity the cold just seeps into your bones no matter how much protection you wear. My seramas I had 5 last year and they did just fine it was in the 30s with snow for a week straight and they had no issue they would just huddle together.

They are more hardy then you Think. I would fot ypir temps tarp the coop again. Are your seramas in a seperate coop? If they are how big is it? If they arnt how many birds are in one coop and what are dimensions? Seramas j a smaller coop would heat up better them then in a giant coop by themselves.

We here in NC arnt as cold as y'all are but with the added humidity the cold just seeps into your bones no matter how much protection you wear. My seramas I had 5 last year and they did just fine it was in the 30s with snow for a week straight and they had no issue they would just huddle together.

They are more hardy then you Think. I would fot ypir temps tarp the coop again. Are your seramas in a seperate coop? If they are how big is it? If they arnt how many birds are in one coop and what are dimensions? Seramas j a smaller coop would heat up better them then in a giant coop by themselves.
I also have 5, a rooster and 2 hens plus two 9 week old chicks that one of the hens hatched. They have their own small coop that we just moved inside of our new covered run. We are also tarping all the sides of the run so essentially turning the whole run into a giant coop. I also have 12 other chickens in a bigger coop which is connected to the run. They all get along fine and I'm hoping the sweeter heater will be enough to just take the edge off at night. Thanks for your input and I agree with you, I also believe they are tougher than we think

Hey Suz, how are yours doing? And Happy TG, btw...!

It is going down to 17 tonight. I brought mine inside which I have never done, I also have the Sweeter Heater in the coop for cold nights but I think mine are the same age as yours and their babies are like 7 weeks....my DH isn't thrilled but I don't want dead birds!!! They do seem hardier than ppl think. Even the babies have been fine on the cold nights, the coldest was like 27. But 17 is too low. It's their first winter too. How have yours been doing?

Back
Top Bottom