Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Hi Everyone.
I am in Norcal. Recently hatched 3 female and one male Crele... I want more. Any kind will do but partial to the Crele's and the Black Penedesenca.
I am not finding much in the advertsied section.
just wondering if anyone is selling hatching eggs or chicks.

Oh okay, I guess I will just google it to see what I'm looking for. Thanks.

The carnation comb is a recognized comb in Europe and Latin America. It's a standard in Spain, Germany, Ireland and Argentina.
I posted a thorough description in post #6 in the following thread along with some pics in post #8.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645637/comb-contest-carnation

All Penedesencas and Empordanesas should have this comb. There may be more Catalonian breeds with it but I'm not aware of any.
The white earlobe is an important distinction which most of the hatchery birds I've seen lack.

Last edited:
The carnation comb is a recognized comb in Europe and Latin America. It's a standard in Spain, Germany, Ireland and Argentina.
I posted a thorough description in post #6 in the following thread along with some pics in post #8.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645637/comb-contest-carnation

All Penedesencas and Empordanesas should have this comb. There may be more Catalonian breeds with it but I'm not aware of any.
The white earlobe is an important distinction which most of the hatchery birds I've seen lack.
Well, the Carnation comb is also frequently seen in the Marans breed as well in this country, although NOT desired. Many early breeders of the Marans in this country, evidently infused Penes into the breed in hopes to get a darker egg, which also did not happen. However, they seem to have passed on their "project birds" as pure Marans, and the problem of a Carnation comb, (which should be a 5 point single comb in Marans), has now become a major problem! I have now been fortunate? enough to receive this comb in at least 5 different sets of eggs, from different breeders of Marans! None of whom claim they have ever had this problem! Side sprigs have also popped up in above average numbers here, leading me to believe the Pene influence is also behind these birds' breedings.
Away from my rant, but leading to some answers for some that may have had some odd Penes produced, you may want to consider the possibility that a Marans is in their background at some point? I can show you pics of my birds, past and present, if you would like. Let it be known, I am on dial-up, and this new format is NOT picture friendly for us, it literally takes some HOURS to load a couple of pics.

One thing I have noticed with the Carnation comb, is that it seems to act on a double recessive gene trend? I'm not a genetics person, so forgive my terminology. If you double up on the gene(s), (and I am speaking in terms of Marans, I have NO pure Penes), as in a sibling x sibling breeding, the comb seems to morph into a humungus tree-like comb! Pretty sure I still have one of these pics already uploaded here, so if anyone is interested in seeing it, let me know and I will post it.

i have both Marans and Pen's and i know what u mean... i have one of the only line of E/E black Marans in the USA and they where made about 1990 with black Pen's and Cuckoo Marans... and yes i still have the occasional comb sprig and white ear lobe...

i think its a lot like the Am's when they 1st came here they where only concerned with the egg color not what they looked like...
Well, the Carnation comb is also frequently seen in the Marans breed as well in this country, although NOT desired. Many early breeders of the Marans in this country, evidently infused Penes into the breed in hopes to get a darker egg, which also did not happen. However, they seem to have passed on their "project birds" as pure Marans, and the problem of a Carnation comb, (which should be a 5 point single comb in Marans), has now become a major problem! I have now been fortunate? enough to receive this comb in at least 5 different sets of eggs, from different breeders of Marans! None of whom claim they have ever had this problem! Side sprigs have also popped up in above average numbers here, leading me to believe the Pene influence is also behind these birds' breedings.
Away from my rant, but leading to some answers for some that may have had some odd Penes produced, you may want to consider the possibility that a Marans is in their background at some point? I can show you pics of my birds, past and present, if you would like. Let it be known, I am on dial-up, and this new format is NOT picture friendly for us, it literally takes some HOURS to load a couple of pics.

One thing I have noticed with the Carnation comb, is that it seems to act on a double recessive gene trend? I'm not a genetics person, so forgive my terminology. If you double up on the gene(s), (and I am speaking in terms of Marans, I have NO pure Penes), as in a sibling x sibling breeding, the comb seems to morph into a humungus tree-like comb! Pretty sure I still have one of these pics already uploaded here, so if anyone is interested in seeing it, let me know and I will post it.

yeah just ordered some black penedesenca chicks
ya.gif

me too. I hatched 4 crele's ... 3 hens and 1 male so happy about that. getting 13 black's so hopefully I can get started breeding these. I also got a few 1/2 legbar 1/2 welsummer and crele penedesenca . I plan on putting the hens with the penedesenca and see what comes of them.

Back
Top Bottom