Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Elias , This year I am raising my youngsters free range and also having better results. Well theyre not out in the wilds but are in large unused dog runs(18x 250 ft) that are attached to a 3 sided barn which they sleep and eat in coming and going as they wish. They really don't go very far from the barn . The chain fence runs , perimeter, fence and lots of dogs keep most predators at bay, except opossums which are too stupid to be wary. All in all all of my young large fowl are growing better and are healthier now than when raised in confinement. Will be moving in the near future and only hope I can find a suitable place. where the birds can be turned out. Bill

Last edited:
Mine are in a large run. 20x15. it will only hold the 4 crele. I plan on building larger runs once I get them all.
I think my young Crele's are wonderful looking birds and once they start to lay I hope to share them with other breeders. Hopefully others will feel the same. It has been a struggle finding any hatching eggs. Unless you want Partridge or Wheaten.

My avenues but so far leading to nothing.. Oldhound I would like to also see Blue tailed Empordanesa in the states but not sure how to go about that.
If I can get my hnds on the black pene's and white Empordanesa I think I could get some Norcal folks helping me with raising them out here..
Best wishes Jason

i have a breeding quad of white emp's and a few chicks from them... i have some partridge Pene hens but no rooster... i put them in with the white emp's and have hatched some really cool looking buff Colombian looking chicks that are growing out now...
lol I hear ya. if you ever get too selling eggs or chicks you know who to call first.
thumbsup.gif

I have 4 Crele hens, we HAD a roo but I woke one morning and found him dead in the coop. No signs of illness and no other casualties. We have about 50 other birds & in NPIP program. So, now we have the girls and no male to go with them! Ugh.

had to toss all the wheaten eggs. post office must of decided to use them as a soccer ball. only 2 started to develop but never hatched. 2 of the 10 eggs were cracked...
he.gif

why is it so hard to get Penedesenca's !!!!
I know they will hatch. I hatched some earlier in the year during a snow storm when the power kept going out.

Has anyone had an experience with the yolks having weak walls ? You know the kind that no matter how careful you are when you crack an egg the yolk collapses in the pan. I wonder if this is causing a problem with the numbers of chicks coming to term. Just thinking out loud. Someone suggested that I feed grass, the breeders do not free range , so I did and it seemed to help . This issue is with my best layer and I'm only now saving some of her eggs to incubate. If this continues to the next generation the line will be scrapped no matter how many or how big or how dark their eggs are. IMO they are production fowl first and foremost and reproduction is of paramount importance.
I am no big time or notable breeder, having only a few Black Pene hens that I consider breedable though far from ideal. Looking for an exchange of ideas . Thank You . Bill

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom