Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
Ohh. you are!?!? Let me ask, are they nearly as flighty as everyone says? (I'm taking note of your screen name)

Yes and no. They are not flighty if I'm just working around them, feeding, cleaning, collecting eggs. If I try to CATCH them, yes, they are fast. The young stock I have raised are much, much more easygoing than the breeders I bought at POL. I don't hold and pet them, but I'm in with them a few times a day, moving them around, feeding, watering, cleaning and they are fine, not silly at all. They don't mind being caught any more than any other young birds. I don't mind the "flighty" part of them, since I'm not likely to step on one by accident
big_smile.png

Here are some of my young Pene's a few days ago, with me standing right next to their feeder. This was taken right after I finished catching and banding each one, so they should have been much more upset~LOL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41991_dscf2146.jpg

Thanks for the explination! Exactly what I was looking to get answered about their flightiness.

The chick pictured is about 3 weeks old, so I will take another picture in a week or more and post it again. And after you told me and showed me a pic of how flighty they are/are not - I'm thinking I may get more afterall. I imagined a bird that would freak out everytime anything came around. I definately don't want that. I will handle them from the start, that is my usual MO anyways.

Thanks!!!

Quote:
I think your wheaton chick is a rooster,
If i am not mistaken, roosters tail feathers grow out slower
that a pullets would.
wink.png

Quote:
Yes and no. They are not flighty if I'm just working around them, feeding, cleaning, collecting eggs. If I try to CATCH them, yes, they are fast. The young stock I have raised are much, much more easygoing than the breeders I bought at POL. I don't hold and pet them, but I'm in with them a few times a day, moving them around, feeding, watering, cleaning and they are fine, not silly at all. They don't mind being caught any more than any other young birds. I don't mind the "flighty" part of them, since I'm not likely to step on one by accident
big_smile.png

Here are some of my young Pene's a few days ago, with me standing right next to their feeder. This was taken right after I finished catching and banding each one, so they should have been much more upset~LOL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41991_dscf2146.jpg

Thanks for the explination! Exactly what I was looking to get answered about their flightiness.

The chick pictured is about 3 weeks old, so I will take another picture in a week or more and post it again. And after you told me and showed me a pic of how flighty they are/are not - I'm thinking I may get more afterall. I imagined a bird that would freak out everytime anything came around. I definately don't want that. I will handle them from the start, that is my usual MO anyways.

Thanks!!!

You are very welcome
smile.png

HI I am in Douglasville, GA
I got two sets of hatching eggs last year with partridge and wheaten eggs. I had a very poor hatch rate. One hen and 3 roosters from the first 12 eggs. Two roosters had crippled feet. One with the correct partridge color and one with a very light color. Then I got one hen and a rooster from the seocnd 12 eggs. This rooster was crippled and a very light color.
Has anyone else had birds with crippled feet?
I have a partridge and wheaten hen that are very nice but my rooster is inferior due to the ear lobe not being more than 50% white.
Anybody close by with this breed?

Hello everybody! Delighted to see this thread. I got started with Pens a year ago, having by total luck found someone local on craigslist who'd ordered 20 from Little Gem (I think that was the name of the place) somewhere back east. He was a city bird owner so he needed to sell off the extras and I was only too happy to take 4 of them off his hands. He wasn't sure what he had in terms of feathering (crele, wheaten, black or partridge) but I took what I thought was two each of the Crele and the black. I ended up with one black pullet, 2 crele pullets, and one roo who I still can't figure out. He was pure black for months, until green started showing up in his under feathers, and now he has both green and orange, but is predominantly black. Anyone have a guess on that? I'm sorry I don't have a picture at the moment.

Sadly, the black pullet got ahold of something that choked her and she passed on. The other three are healthy and happy living with a friend of mine out on Whidbey Island. I was obliged to move to the city when the Pens were about 6 months old, so I just follow their progress via email reports and the occasional photo. Kind of like a shared custody arrangement with kids.
smile.png
I'll hopefully be able to pick up at least the two ladies when I get a home with a backyard coop in a couple of weeks.

As far as their temperament, I can say that I absolutely noticed a very flighty nature on the part of the two Crele girls. They were over the fence more times than I care to count, even with both wings clipped. Extremely flighty. I didn't handle them much at all though, so perhaps with lots of handling from hatching on, that would be different. The rooster is not flighty, although he is very aggressive with the other roosters in his adoptive flock. He killed one of them outright, so now only the silkie rooster that he was raised with is left. He seems to tolerate him, although he refuses the little guy breeding rights with "his" ladies.
smile.png

Quote:
Crooked Toes/feet are caused by incubation temps. not being stable.
I use to have this in the past, but I bought a good incubator and isolate hens when setting
so that there is not fighting to set on the same clutch. I monitor the temps hourly so there is not time for my incubator temp. to fluctuate.
smile.png

And have not had this problem since.

Quote:
From what I understand Little gems got their Penedesencas from Ray Valentine in FL.
Ray was said to let all his colors of penedesenca run and sometimes cross together.
So that Probably explains the color popping up in your blacks

Sorry to hear about your pullet.
sad.png

But Good Luck on the rest of your Penedesencas
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation on the crippled feet and incubator temps.
Are you sure it's not a genetic thing?
I have hatched several batches with my incubator and the pennes are the only ones that have had crippled feet.

Quote:
I am positive about the feet and toes , Inbreeding affects fertility mostley.
Try looking up incubation problems, and you should find this info pretty easy.

Also did you know that all breeds are capable of getting the Carnation Comb ????

They are called ( SIDE SPRIGS),
Side Sprigs/ carnation Comb,
are considered defective/ this is considered a disqualification in poultry shows, in any of in other breeds.
Except for the Penedesenca & Empodanesa.

So just because Penedesencas & Empordanesa, have carnations (Side Sprigs),
does not mean that they are pure breed.
ANY BREED CAN GET THIS COMB TYPE,

Just Fun Facts Pass it along.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom