Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Thanks for the link to the standards.
It's too bad the picture of the Wheaten male is at an angle so that you can't see all of him.
I'd like to see a picture of his chest.

Hello All....Ok. This is definitely a breed I want. I see Meyer's hatchery and Sand Hill Preservation hatchery both have some...any one ever got anything from them. I see they also have black copper marans. These are two breeds I MUST have. I live in Va. does anyone know anyone near me that has them. Rarebreedeggs4U, when i googled the breed I see your picture. Meaning to me you must know quite abit about them. Very good...I will be asking you lots of questions...LOL.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Hello All....Ok. This is definitely a breed I want. I see Meyer's hatchery and Sand Hill Preservation hatchery both have some...any one ever got anything from them. I see they also have black copper marans. These are two breeds I MUST have. I live in Va. does anyone know anyone near me that has them. Rarebreedeggs4U, when i googled the breed I see your picture. Meaning to me you must know quite abit about them. Very good...I will be asking you lots of questions...LOL.

I've only had the breed about 6 months and there is SO little information out there. I'm reading and learning all I can too
smile.png
Please remember that *most* hacheries don't adhere too closely to breed standards (if they are even aware of them) and are not involved in the breed to IMPROVE the breed, simply to make & sell as many chicks as possible. This may not hold true for all hacheries, but I don't think that dark egg layers being offered en masse is going to be improving the breeds
hmm.png
I also want to sell eggs and chicks, but I want to do the best I can to improve the breed.​

I have Partridge Chicks ordered from Meyers here in Ohio, I'll be picking them up locally for their first hatch date, I could have ordered 10 and decided to only order 6, I already have one Partridge Hen in the birds I got so decided to just order 2 cockrels and 4 pullets, I'll be driving to get them and not having them shipped, I'll also take a copy of the Irish sites Information on what they should look like with me, if there's any descrepancy in the way they look I'll ask them for another selection of chicks to choose from. They are a 2 Hour drive from me, so am really looking forward to going and getting them, and hope they are correct, when I get them I'll take pictures of them and post them on here if someone can tell me how to post pictures so that they come out the right size to see their details. First Hatch date is projected for March 22nd.

I didn't order chicks from Sandhill, I am in contact with someone that has their birds from about 5 years ago, she said the egg color wasn't that good to begin with on the Blacks, and she said that she's improved in Egg color over the years she's had them and been breeding them, and now has half way decent egg color, she has 3 Roosters, 2 have nice white earlobes and one has white streaked earlobes all have the Carnation Combs like they're supposed to have, and she's going to hatch me out a couple of cockrels from her birds, so that is why I didn't order chicks from Sandhill, I know they are already into now probably about July with projected hatch dates for their offering of them, and you can only get 5 that is the limit on them.

I've been researching also all the Information I can find on them, and researching who has what and what is pure and what isn't to try and get birds that are as correct as I can possibly obtain for breeding. So I'm trying, and have also found someone else other than Josh that has them too, and also has what they are calling Red ones, I don't know yet if they are a Darkegglayer or if they are a White Egglayer, I was in contact before this Storm hit all over the place and haven't gotten back in touch to find out more details. I did find in searching and can't remember where it was, it was an article on egg production and it listed the Blacks and the Reds and I think it was from Spain, I'll have to go back and try to find what I found before and save it to my Favorites if I can locate it again, I've done so many searches, so many different ways you would not believe how I've done searches, I've been searching steadily nightly for hours since December to locate all of the Information I could find, I've totally searched all of Eggbids Auctions and who purchased and their auctions for what they've sold and contacted people from those searches, as well as Ovabid and the contact that was on there, I haven't done Ebay yet, and I've also been in contact with a Seller of them from several years ago that gave me all of his contacts from his sales that were listed in his Paypal Account with their email addresses, I've even searched each color of them in the Address line, and the ones on here, so I'm trying to conduct as thorough of a search as I can for locating birds to work with. I still need to get back in contact with the Son that had these Hens I now have to see if the other Party he gave them to still has them and possibly would have a cockrel or rooster out of the ones he had. So I'm not done yet with my searches. I even posted an Add on Eggbid to try and locate a Rooster, I didn't list where I was located or my phone number since I didn't want someone to see it that didn't do shipping of birds and then decide not to respond to the Add, and the first thing I got was where are you located, so I at least found 2 others that also have them from just doing that search, one I may be able to get eggs from, the other party didn't respond back and I did searches of the email address and found that she is located in TX, she also sold Partridge chicks at one time and only for local pick up, even though I'm in Ohio I can still do local pick up in another state, it may take some doing but is not impossible for me to do that. Where there's a Will there's a Way!

Victoria

Ok..thanks all of you! This is wonderful information. I ordered from McMurrays a couple of years ago some cuckoo marans for the dark eggs. and I was VERY disappointed..none of the eggs turned out dark. unless you call a very light colored egg dark. LOL...so youi are right on the hatcheries standards....if you all have dark eggs to sell, I'll buy some next month. Just filled my incubator this morning with partridge cochins, salmon faverolles and ameraucaunas.

thanks for helping me out...all of us together can get this breed back on top.

D'Angelo N Va. :

Ok..thanks all of you! This is wonderful information. I ordered from McMurrays a couple of years ago some cuckoo marans for the dark eggs. and I was VERY disappointed..none of the eggs turned out dark. unless you call a very light colored egg dark. LOL...so youi are right on the hatcheries standards....if you all have dark eggs to sell, I'll buy some next month. Just filled my incubator this morning with partridge cochins, salmon faverolles and ameraucaunas.

thanks for helping me out...all of us together can get this breed back on top.

Somewhere I read that Cuckoo Marans lay a ligher dark egg but more of them. I just bought 2 hens, and have to lock them in to get eggs.
I kinda hoped they had a stealth nest to hatch from being bred before they left their roo to come here.
I don't have a scale, but they are medium dark; I'm guessing a 5.​

Quote:
Somewhere I read that Cuckoo Marans lay a ligher dark egg but more of them. I just bought 2 hens, and have to lock them in to get eggs.
I kinda hoped they had a stealth nest to hatch from being bred before they left their roo to come here.
I don't have a scale, but they are medium dark; I'm guessing a 5.

My experience with Golden Cuckoo Marans is a somewhat lighter egg color as well. Nothing yet compares to the Black Copper Marans. I'm wondering what the darkest Penedesenca egg color is that anyone has gotten and from which breed of Penedesencas?
Josh, what are your blacks laying?
The Wheaten Penes I'm hatching are a nice rich medium brown.

anyone have any adult or started chicks of the partridge or black color's that will be willing to sell??? and even better that you might be bringing to the Newnan GA show the 20th???

Hey guys found this website today it is from a farm in Georgia www.littlegemhatchery.com the person there is claiming to have purebreds that are true to breed..he is also charging 3.33 @ egg and 12.00 @chick. Now 12.00 to me is a bit much...the eggs, if mine hatch meaning I have my incubator working properly I hope..I will take about a dozen. Has anyone heard of this hatchery before?

Back
Top Bottom