Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Quote:
I am breeding for milder personality and killing mean roos and eating the eggs of mean hens. Hoping to see better temperament. It does vary somewhat in the birds. I have seen some be very sweet and tolerant of other roos. I have cuckoo marans and they are very tolerant fellows (too lazy to fight) and the girls are sweet too. I am hoping to get my black penes closer to that personality - though I still want them to be zippy and a bit paranoid. One more thing too work on!!!

I don't have any problems with my roos. My hens are the mean ones, but not to people. I've kept the roosters together with their hens and have several free ranging with the yard bird hens and way too many roos. We have a HUGE, very dominant (but not a bully at all) White Leghorn roo who keeps the peace and we have no aggression and little scuffling.

I keep a rank roo around to teach egg eaters!!!!
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif

AHHH GREAT! I CULLED & I CULLED.
he.gif

I ENDED UP WITH ALL HENS AND 4 Cockerels
sad.png

I meant to keep moslty cockerels I think they pass on all the looks and the dark egg gene the hens do the rest.
D.gif

Mine are friendly this year, most have been raised together, I have several breeding flocks of blacks, since they can be territorial. I found it the only way too keep so many.
Oh well we'll see what happens in the next few months when breeding starts again.

We did a head count, we have a total of 45 Blacks
wee.gif

We should be getting some eggs out of our girls, in about 8 weeks maybe less if were lucky.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have two Black Copper Hens that just hatched six Wheaten chicks. My Wheaten hen hasn't shown signs of going broody so I stuck her eggs under the Coppers.
The two hens share being Mom. (shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell the Coppers, the eggs weren't theirs). This is their second brood that they have shared raising.

Quote:
That is great! My Silkies just hatched out 8 Black Copper Marans and 1 Wheaten Penedesenca this weekend. There would have been more, but they got off of the rest of the eggs and they were cold by the time I found them.

I have 5 Wheaten Penedesenca chicks that were hatched for me by mediazeal. Three were hatched on the 4th and the older 2 a week before. This is my first time with this breed and I'm hooked already.

I've done some research and I'm very excited to have one of this Catalan varieties! I plan on using the Penes to create my own line of Olive Eggers, they'll be the parent stock of my Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Olive Egger project. They'll eventually be paired with my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster. Next spring I'll probably be in need of some more Wheaten eggs, or chicks to add some biodiversity to the line.

Here's a couple of updated pictures from today.

I have 2, lighter yellow ones like this.

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

& 3 more tan ones with stripes, like this.

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Cutie.
love.gif

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

Any guesses on gender at this point?

Quote:
Those are great pics of them!
love that you have them out and about.
You will know soon as the boys get a much bigger comb and black feathers start coming in.
You'll know by 4 weeks for sure.

The one chick with the stripe down its back is not a wheaten, or is an impure wheaten. Wheatens should be clear with no pattern on them til feathering. Males will have darker feathers .

Back
Top Bottom