Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
I ordered 10 partridge penedesenca from My Pet Chicken last year - only of 3 of the 10 had all the right characteristics of dark legs, coronation comb, and white ear lobes. 3 of them had the right comb but were built and feathered like black copper marans and lay a nice dark egg. I was wanting some unrelated hens to keep my lines from getting to inbred, so it was expensive but gave me 3 apparently P. Penedesenca girls to mix into my breeders. I will be watching the offspring for other signs of impurities -but you always have to do that.

Black penedesencas should have no red at all. If your boys show red, try to use only black boys. Look for the white earlobes - they won't show until they are a few months old but red earlobes can clue you in that you have an impure bunch. Don't ditch them, work with them, but try to bring in a proper roo to help you along.

You can go to the Penedesenca club website and yahoo group to see some good pictures so you know what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the info. I just want cool brown eggs. So mixed is ok but it is good to know they are just that.... Not real pure

Quote:
Luann,

April Shaw of Ozarks Fancy Poultry has nice Partridge Penedesencas. She does have 3 of my hens (when I went to only Wheatens), but she has other lines too. Her birds are correct to type, combs and leg color
smile.png

My young group is just that ....coming up on 3 weeks old. They were a straight run so I know I have roosters and hens just not sure yet which is which. It will be very interesting to raise them up and compare. These are Crele Penedesencas I have lost few but I am pretty sure I have 9 left in the brooder. There are almost 40 peeps in the brooder at the moment of various breeds so it gets crazy to try and count everyone
smile.png
they are always on the move.

Hi, I just hatched 6 Crele Pendesencas and am waiting for 2 more pipped eggs to come out. They so neat, I'm glad they hatched. I also have 8 more Crele eggs I'm going to set today.

Quote:
There is a good discussion going on right now on the yahoo groups for dark egg layers. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/darkegglayers/ Questions about where the original imports came from and good stuff like that.

There is also a yahoo group for Penedsencas - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/penedesencas_usa/

There
need to be more people interested in the Penedesencas, and I do think it is going that way. There are a lot of links from the Penedesenca yahoo group to information.

Denise in Wisconsin

Thanks, I'm in both groups and in the thick of the Black Pene Chick discussion as we speak.
I never medicate or vaccinate. I can't get over how some people are so quick with the drugs.
Guy in MO.

This is my lone Pene girl, Frannie. I think she has fluff for brains, she gets spooked really easily and walks around like she has no idea where she's at all the time.
lol.png

IMG_4503.jpg

But I love her.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom