Calling All Rabbit Nutters

IMG_20220524_142035843.jpg

My rabbits are for breeding and also to keep as pets. Our set up is outside. I know some agree and some don’t agree with them being outside. But beyond that, I’m considering bringing one to live inside. I blame Pinterest and Treb @Kiki with all their cute set ups indoors. Plus, the babies who have to come inside to play and cuddle every night!! My questions…are they messy, like when it comes to a litter box (like kicking or digging stuff out) And what’s the best thing to use to not smell the litter box? I should add, we are not indoor pet people. Mostly because of allergies but the bunnies don’t seem to bother those with allergies. At least yet. Ok, this thought of bringing one inside is a huge maybe! But tell me your experiences…

My rabbits are for breeding and also to keep as pets. Our set up is outside. I know some agree and some don’t agree with them being outside. But beyond that, I’m considering bringing one to live inside. I blame Pinterest and Treb @Kiki with all their cute set ups indoors. Plus, the babies who have to come inside to play and cuddle every night!! My questions…are they messy, like when it comes to a litter box (like kicking or digging stuff out) And what’s the best thing to use to not smell the litter box? I should add, we are not indoor pet people. Mostly because of allergies but the bunnies don’t seem to bother those with allergies. At least yet. Ok, this thought of bringing one inside is a huge maybe! But tell me your experiences…
Just got bunnies this year myself.
No they don’t smell as long as you kee the litter box cleaned every few days. The biggest mess I’ve had w them is the parties they throw at night; they might spill their pellets. They also flip their houses. Lol

We use corner litter boxes for rabbits & use the Tractor supply pine pellets (or Rural king) for litter so we can compost it.

Others with more experience I’m sure can help more.

Just got bunnies this year myself.
No they don’t smell as long as you kee the litter box cleaned every few days. The biggest mess I’ve had w them is the parties they throw at night; they might spill their pellets. They also flip their houses. Lol

We use corner litter boxes for rabbits & use the Tractor supply pine pellets (or Rural king) for litter so we can compost it.

Others with more experience I’m sure can help more.
Parties at night 😂 That was all helpful info. How much litter would you say maybe 1-2 rabbits goes through a month?

The dumb little bunnies in my yard are feeling way too much at home. Saw one dust bathing/rolling around in the dirt next to my coop the other day. 😅

So long as they keep away from my veggies (which are all in containers so hopefully out of reach) I don't care much. But if I catch bunnies nomming on my plants, it'll be rabbit stew time.

Last edited:
They can be somewhat messy, I prefer keeping their litter boxes inside a small cage with solid sides to prevent bedding from spilling out. I don't usually smell their litter box as long as I keep it clean, but you can get odor-reducing animal-safe sprays that work quite well if they are particularly stinky at one time or another.

Zero smell with the pine pellets in Treb's litter box. I do scoop out the piss spots twice a day and add new pellets once a week.
I start with about half the bag of pellets and by scooping out daily it lasts me about a week.

Back
Top Bottom