Calling All Rooster Whisperers

I like to try and wait out the terrible teens, most calm down when they mature. Especially if they have older roosters to keep them in line. That said, this summer I had three teens gang up on one of my favorite girls, an older red production hen. They broke her ribs and she died in my arms. Those bad boys got a one way ticket to freezer camp. I was so upset with them. The other young boys have learned their place. My two big guys train them well. Bad roosters go to freezer camp.
That's awful! I'm so sorry for your hen, and you. Such a sad thing. I'd have eaten them too!

My timing is so close, this last heavy snow stopped my project or I'd be so close to having a space for all the little hens to be away from his nonsense. But there's a decent size brooder in the coop he can hang in there for a bit. I don't dislike him and this rapey stuff all just started suddenly, might give him a little time if he handles separation ok.

She was special to me. I had three plain old production reds from TSC. Not flashy or special, you’d think. But these three. Ruby, Rosie and Paprika turned out to be the sweetest, happiest little gardeners I have ever seen. If I was in the garden then they were invariably there next to me in the dirt. We were a team. I lost Paprika last winter. She was four and just kind of drifted away quietly. Then those bad boys killed my Ruby and I was heartbroken. I still have their sister, Rosie. She was lonely after losing her sisters, but she’s lately become close to my elderly BO girl, Henny Boo Boo. I’m sentimental with my firstchickens. I only have three left from my original flock and they are precious to me.

1ED6351D-754D-402D-8A8D-AF15C8A2860B.jpeg Thank you, Mary. :hugs One of my last hatches has a little red hen who looks just like my girls, so their line will continue as long as I can keep it going.
Here are Rosie and Boo Boo helping me in the garden.

Young cockerels do have a learning curve and may learn to mount properly eventually, but there's no guarantee. My top roo was a bit rough at first, which I chalk up to inexperience. Now -- he is a real ladies man and handles it all with ease.

Last year I had 3 cockerels to 9 pullets. The 2 lower ranking stayed in separate areas of the property for the most part, but would try to mate the pullets if the opportunity arose. For a short time I had to segregate one of them in a cage for his own safety when I locked everyone up at night.

I am currently overrun with cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom