Calling all turkey colour experts.... Blue narangasett?? (Pics)

well sure, long way to get to you though.... I seriously am thinking of moving to America.... all the colours and variety!! Plus houses are cheaper too
th.gif

Quote:
Ah calico hey
caf.gif
do you know if calico poults hatch yellow with some speckles down the back? As all this colour hatch this way, might narrow down what they really are.

Sweetgrass and calico are a lot alike, some people use the name interchangeably. Here is a picture of the Sweetgrass from Kevin Porters site: http://www.porterturkeys.com/sweetgrass.htm Down at the bottom is a picture of them as poults. I think they have Royal Palm in their background, Palms are yellow downed at hatch and may have a black strip going down its back.. With the other crosses in there, perhaps it produces the speckles? The individual feathers having markings could be a bit of pencilling showing up. Here is a picture of a Pencilled Palm on Kevins site: http://www.porterturkeys.com/pencilledpalm.htm

Quote:
Ah calico hey
caf.gif
do you know if calico poults hatch yellow with some speckles down the back? As all this colour hatch this way, might narrow down what they really are.

Sweetgrass and calico are a lot alike, some people use the name interchangeably. Here is a picture of the Sweetgrass from Kevin Porters site: http://www.porterturkeys.com/sweetgrass.htm Down at the bottom is a picture of them as poults. I think they have Royal Palm in their background, Palms are yellow downed at hatch and may have a black strip going down its back.. With the other crosses in there, perhaps it produces the speckles? The individual feathers having markings could be a bit of pencilling showing up. Here is a picture of a Pencilled Palm on Kevins site: http://www.porterturkeys.com/pencilledpalm.htm

Yes they look just like the pencilled palm poults!!! same pattern at hatching.

This is what I think a Lavender version of a Narragansett looks like as a 10 week old poult.

The lavender in this bird is the recessive gene (not slate as in the USA).

Dad looks like a sweetgrass, which is black-winged bronze based with two palm genes..b1b1cgcg. Mom is some kind of blue bird (duh), but there's lots of ways to get blue birds. If she is truly a slate, she is black based with a single dominant blue gene BBDd. She could be a self blue BBDD. It is also possible that she could be bronze based with one or more blue genes bbDD or bbDd. Someone who has raised blue turkeys could probably tell from looking, but I cannot. I suppose she could even be b1b1Dd. The most likely genetic makeup is BBDd. The "not palm" genes are understood in the slate, and the "not blue" genes are understood in the sweetgrass, but a more complete description of the genes in question would be b1b1cgcgdd for dad and BBCgCgDd for mom.

So offspring that get the blue gene from the mom are Bb1CgcgDd. They should look pretty much like blue slates except they carry a recessive palm gene and a recessive black-winged gene. I don't know that either of these genes would show through to produce the barring. Again, someone who plays with blue turkeys might have a better idea.

On the other hand, either parent bird may be carrying additional recessive genes. This is why good notes on breeding are important. So we have a better idea of what genes might be lying underneath the observed colors. If the sweetgrass doesn't come from a sweetgrass line, and is the result of random crossing, there could easily be a Narragansett gene hidden in there.

A calico, by the way, is a Royal Palm with a single red gene. b1b1ngngcgcgRr. They can look a lot like pale sweetgrasses, but I don't think your tom is a calico.

I guess that's really not much help.
smile.png

That poult is black winged bronze based with the pencilling gene and a slate gene of some type, also has to carry a cg gray gene from the father for sure since he is double dosed for it.
The pencilling gene is in your country, Deutscher's turkey farm in Dadswells Bridge,Victoria has birds carrying it. They call them cinnamon, what we call tiger bronze over here. So I am betting your blue poult will end up being some type of blue cinnamon or I would call it a blue tiger bronze or something like that ;-)
Since your in Australia it could definitely be the sl recessive slate gene instead of D dominate slate like we have in the USA. As of yet I have never seen pics of any dominate slate turkeys in your country. Everything I have seen so far has been recessive slate.
For me to determine what type of slate gene you have there I would need much better pics of the mother, have someone hold her and open up her wings and get a good closeup pic so I can see the pattern of the main wing feathers.Also I would need to see her tail feathers as well.

The father is where the pencilling gene came from as he shows signs of it and he got it from his mother as she looks just like a pencilled palm.
Any chance there is slate in the background of the father? As for this poult to be recessive slate both parents would have to give it.

Kevin
Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Back
Top Bottom