calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
That's good pictures. From both of you. I am in Byron Georgia, right in the middle of the State. I still have a good flock of Goldfinches if I'm lucky I will see a couple in breeding plumage before they migrate.

I have no idea where Bryon Ga. is But looking at the map shows you being close to their breeding area.

They are fun to watch.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/american_goldfinch/lifehistory

Byron is in the center of the state about 20 miles South of Macon right on I-75. I am on the northern edge of the coastal plain. They breed in North Georgia mostly in the Appalachians. I have been up there in the Spring and Summer but I have never seen a Goldfinch in breeding plumage.

Ralphie, I clicked on the link that you provided and learned something - cowbirds can not effectively parasitize goldfinch nests because the cowbird chick can not survive on a vegetarian/seed diet. Good!

Hey ya'll! I feed my little wild birdies out there...
I have had some beauties this year..... I have four feeders....
Here are some I have this year so far....

Name them if you can.... :) I know most of them...

Hey ya'll! I feed my little wild birdies out there...
I have had some beauties this year..... I have four feeders....
Here are some I have this year so far....
1st a male cardinal the 2nd and third are a female cardinal.. this is a chipping sparrow

the first two are mourning doves and then another chipping sparrow and a female goldfinch.this is a nuthatch

wood thrasher is the first one and not sure what the brown one is maybe some type of a finch then the black capped chickadee and then the sandhill cranes with some whooping cranes mixed in...this is a male house finch...

Name them if you can.... :) I know most of them...
God's Creatures, Great and Small!

Last edited:
Ralphie, I clicked on the link that you provided and learned something - cowbirds can not effectively parasitize goldfinch nests because the cowbird chick can not survive on a vegetarian/seed diet. Good!

I was researching hawks today and decided we have TWO different hawks hanging around. One I believe is a female red tail - she nested in the yard this time of year two years ago but her nest came down in a storm. There is also a Coopers. I charged outside to persuade the red tail to hunt elsewhere. She wasn't really spooked by me but flap flap glided next door. Definitely need to make more crow friends...

Back
Top Bottom