calling any one from missouri

Hello all.
It's busy..end of the school year time here.
WE are down to 3 babies from the last hatch. Lost the second one Sunday. Not sure why.
I have cleaned everything and put the remaining 3 of 5 on some corid and electrolytes.
Crossing fingers
In the hatcher. I now have 3 viable ones out of the 24 I started.
Hasn't been a great hatching season for us.
Not sure why.
At least none of the storms took out power. That is scary stuff
I am sad enough that I lost a deep freeze this week.
Luckily not the meat freezer.
Still stinks to lose veggies.
Hope everyone is doing well..keeping power on and hatching away.
I read some and am trying to catch up,,but may just have to jump in when I can.

That is really sad sorry to hear that I have 3 hens setting on over a hundred eggs but you never know how many will hatch this is my first year. I have someone who wants alot of them so hope they do well Peanut

Hi Edencamp what does RIR mean I am so new at this not sure what some things mean hope to see you at J C this weekend did you say you were going on Sat.? that is when we are going to try to go never been before should be fun Peanut

Hi Edencamp what does RIR mean I am so new at this not sure what some things mean hope to see you at J C this weekend did you say you were going on Sat.? that is when we are going to try to go never been before should be fun Peanut
Yep, JMmanning is snatching me up on her way in, there looks to be several of us trying to hookup. I'm bringing a bunch of stuff to sell so going to pretty much stuck there in one spot. Look for BYC in big yellow letters on the windshield. I'm a first timer too but heard a lot about it - should be fun!

I'm moving into SQ and project birds so to make room I have some hatchery birds that are nice but just not where I want to go that are looking for new roosts.

ahh I've got a nice hatchery RIR that needs a home.......

Having to shuffle things around here and consolidate the non-fancy guys to simply layer group and got too many roos for that.

Sadly I don't think I can justify to the wife the gas would cost me to get near you. I am on northern border. 12 Miles from IA. I will be going south to kirksville area weekly starting the 2nd (Sun & Fri) for 6 weeks but thats about my range. Wife said we might be able to get a fair roo this fall even at $25 roughly. If I can't get lucky on CL 1st. But seems like nobody is selling/given away roos in my area atm.
The 1 year I wish that hatchery was actually 10% wrong
hide.gif

Yeah, that's a ways.

If somebody has them they likely aren't putting effort into getting it out there simply because unless someone happens to need one...no one needs one. Post at feedstore, Orschelin's public boards. If you've got local radio swap programs where listeners can call in looking for or got to sell , or localized websites that let you do the same. Farmers markets - if they are selling brown eggs they may have extra roos. County fairs...

Sometimes free roos are old or problems - ask. Do they freerange and know to protect thier flock? Older roo can still get the job done longer than an old hen. If he's a young roo - yeah, you may have to pay a few $ for him but you aren't looking for a fancy show bird so don't expect a problem under $25. Some folks just want a few dollars so they aren't giving away a free boy for the pot. And people being the way they are tend to take better care of animals they pay something for.

Ask about any flock health problems and be sure to quarentine for at least a month. Maybe keep seperate and put a hen or two in you can afford to lose with them. Mareks carriers can bring it to your flock and not look at all sick. Ask about how they bring birds in themselves. Ask about chick losses, sniffles, etc. ASK QUESTIONS. Free bird is not cheap if you bring nasties in that kill yours. Cost is only one aspect of why many people only bring in eggs - disease another and a biggie.

Sadly I don't think I can justify to the wife the gas would cost me to get near you. I am on northern border. 12 Miles from IA. I will be going south to kirksville area weekly starting the 2nd (Sun & Fri) for 6 weeks but thats about my range. Wife said we might be able to get a fair roo this fall even at $25 roughly. If I can't get lucky on CL 1st. But seems like nobody is selling/given away roos in my area atm.
The 1 year I wish that hatchery was actually 10% wrong
hide.gif

Do you have a facebook account? If not get one. I will post links to 2 groups. They are Missouri Groups, hopefully you can find a roo there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218273968301238/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/484727341560208/

Back
Top Bottom