calling any one from missouri

I Live in KC and we just got our coop built and moved in 8 Americuana pullets late last week. They are a blast and should be laying in a month or two. I did find out today that our dog got a hold of one of them today, didn't kill it but I guess it doesn't want to move much and pecked at the better half when she tried to pick it up and check it out. Luckily our dog wheighs 10 lbs so she isn't real vicious but still concerned for the bird. Looking to talk with others in the metro area that have coops too. Next project is a rabbit hutch and garden......fun times at our place!

Welcome Nitro!
frow.gif

What kind of Ameracaunas? Or are they EE's?
We like pictures around here - lots of them!
This is a great site with an amazing amount of info to be found.
Enjoy!

I have no idea LOL! We got them from a couple on CL. I had contacted them because they were selling eggs to see where they got their chicks from and it turned out they had ordered 8 of them to go into their flock and then found out they already had to many for Raytown. They held them for a week so I could get our coop done. I will take some pics tonight and get them posted tomorrow. Most of them are pretty plain birds but we have a white sprckled one and one with a black head that are pretty neat looking. Been working at getting them socialized to us so we can have more fun interacting with them.

Wow! That's not a coop - that's Fort Knox and the Taj blended! Nice job!

Gorgeous garden too!

Yeah...I did my research, planned and built accordingly... doubling minimum space req's per bird and making sure I wasn't going to be the one who had to report losing an entire flock to a raccoon on their first night out because I didn't provide adequate protection. Here it is, heat of the summer and I'm still getting 3 dozen a week out of 7 hens, which is only 5 less per week than their best week, and that's with two EEs molting. Must be doing something right.

I have one of those solar powered automatic chicken doors so that they don't have to wait for me to roll out of bed to go outside, or more honestly, so I can sleep in... And I have a remote electronic temp/humidity guage mounted at their roost so that I can monitor conditions in the coop at all times.

And aside from a little squash vine borer issue (no pesticides in the garden, eel!) my garden is just getting going... Did an ear check last night... the corn will be ready in a little over a week, and I'm losing ground against the tomato onslaught... but... with 22 tomato plants... that was bound to happen. =)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom