calling any one from missouri

HI all! Newbie here to chickens and the forum. Just dropping by to say hello from Macon (about an hour North of Columbia). My DH and I started raising chickens this spring. We have a fairly small flock of 8 hens (5 Salmon Faverolles and 3 RIR), 2 roos (Lace Wing Wyandotte and a Salmon Faverolle), and a beautiful Cayuga drake. Early on we had some issues with intruders, but I think we have the coop and their yard reinforced well enough now. As we're both new to raising chickens, any advice you can offer for the winter is appreciated. We haven't put any lights or anything in their coop for the winter as I've read contradictory advice on that. But I'd like to keep egg production at a reasonable enough rate for our consumption and to keep our flock happy and healthy. Looking forward to meeting y'all!

speaking of wind, on my way to work this morning I saw we got really lucky and had a near miss on the front of the house! I guess I can't wait much longer to cull this Maple.

Last edited:
HI all! Newbie here to chickens and the forum. Just dropping by to say hello from Macon (about an hour North of Columbia). My DH and I started raising chickens this spring. We have a fairly small flock of 8 hens (5 Salmon Faverolles and 3 RIR), 2 roos (Lace Wing Wyandotte and a Salmon Faverolle), and a beautiful Cayuga drake. Early on we had some issues with intruders, but I think we have the coop and their yard reinforced well enough now. As we're both new to raising chickens, any advice you can offer for the winter is appreciated. We haven't put any lights or anything in their coop for the winter as I've read contradictory advice on that. But I'd like to keep egg production at a reasonable enough rate for our consumption and to keep our flock happy and healthy. Looking forward to meeting y'all!
Welcome Aboard !!! From KC area here. Go Royals

Have a chicken behavior question. My brother currently has 7 chickens, 2 roos and 5 hens. 1 roo and 2 of the hens are new to flock. They are all sleeping at night on a board across the nesting boxes except for the newer roo. He sleeps on the ground next to the boxes. None of them roost. My brother has put him up on the board with the rest of the flock and he'll sit there for a minute but then hop right back down. Is it a submission thing to the other roo? Do you think he just prefers sleeping there? Will he be warm enough once it gets really cold?

Have a chicken behavior question. My brother currently has 7 chickens, 2 roos and 5 hens. 1 roo and 2 of the hens are new to flock. They are all sleeping at night on a board across the nesting boxes except for the newer roo. He sleeps on the ground next to the boxes. None of them roost. My brother has put him up on the board with the rest of the flock and he'll sit there for a minute but then hop right back down. Is it a submission thing to the other roo? Do you think he just prefers sleeping there? Will he be warm enough once it gets really cold?
I think it is a total submission thing!! Yes, he should be warm enough when it gets cold, otherwise he will snuggle up to others low on the pecking order. Tell your brother to watch the new roo & make sure the older roo doesn't harm the newcomer. I have had older roosters kill younger roosters! With only 5 hens, the older rooster is NOT going to want to share any of "his" girls. As long as the younger rooster abides by those rules, they may be ok. Hopefully, they have enough room where the younger can get away from the older when necessary.
Most of my younger roosters have not wanted to abide by the rules when they mature & try to mate with any hen they can catch which leads to an attack by the older rooster and sometimes a fight for dominance. My roosters are separated or sent to "freezer camp" when they hit maturity ( other than 1 rooster per run/coop).

The second roo was an unexpected surprise. Another family member gave him and the 2 hens to my nephew for his birthday. So far the boys are getting along. Rubble, the older bigger dominant roo, side steps Oliver occasionally but there have been no fights (knock on wood ). Rubble and Luna (head hen) get in more tussles than the boys do. They have a 4x12 coop/run combo that they have access to all the time and that sits inside a 20x20 run that they are free to roam around in the day time. They will be adding 5 more pullets in a month or so when I go visit. I had a hatch a while back and he's taking the pullets.

Back
Top Bottom