calling any one from missouri

I didn’t know what these mushrooms were, one appeared the previous day—all slimy with flies buzzing around it. I had to look it up, thus learning about stinkhorn mushrooms. They put out a stink that attracts the flies. They need the flies to distribute their spores.
There were 4 more this morning. All had wilted away by noon.
COol! Now I have to research them. They don't sound edible.

I used some closet rod hangers with a short piece of closet rod (wood dowel) and a cup hook screwed into the wood to hang the fly traps. Easy to put on and take off. When I walk by I give it a twirl to mix up the bait and check to see if it's getting full of flies or not. You don't want to wait until it's really full because you get maggots 🤪

fly-trap.jpg

JT

I used some closet rod hangers with a short piece of closet rod (wood dowel) and a cup hook screwed into the wood to hang the fly traps. Easy to put on and take off. When I walk by I give it a twirl to mix up the bait and check to see if it's getting full of flies or not. You don't want to wait until it's really full because you get maggots 🤪

View attachment 3528895

JT
Do you notice a bug difference in the amount of flies buzzing around?
I have used bait stations in the past and even though it catches a lot. .it seemed to me like it just attracted more to the area.

Do you notice a bug difference in the amount of flies buzzing around?
I have used bait stations in the past and even though it catches a lot. .it seemed to me like it just attracted more to the area.

I "think" there are less flies in areas not near the trap, at least it seems to me. Around the trap there can be a lot of flies if there are a lot in the area. I'd rather have them busy trying to go for a swim in the trap than annoying the hens. I've dealt with fly strike in the past before using the traps and don't want to ever have to do that again much less having a hen go through that... RIP Pig Pen.

pig-pen-01.jpg

JT

I "think" there are less flies in areas not near the trap, at least it seems to me. Around the trap there can be a lot of flies if there are a lot in the area. I'd rather have them busy trying to go for a swim in the trap than annoying the hens. I've dealt with fly strike in the past before using the traps and don't want to ever have to do that again much less having a hen go through that... RIP Pig Pen.

View attachment 3529097

JT
I wish there was something that just effectively repelled the darn flies. They drive me nuts sitting here on the deck under the umberella.
A fan helps blow them away but they are still annoyin as all get out.

I wish there was something that just effectively repelled the darn flies. They drive me nuts sitting here on the deck under the umbrella.
A fan helps blow them away but they are still annoying as all get out.
Put the fly attractant away from your deck so you attract them away from you. Also for sport I use those tennis racket looking electrocution devices when sitting outside on the deck. It's quite satisfying to zap them...

JT

Put the fly attractant away from your deck so you attract them away from you. Also for sport I use those tennis racket looking electrocution devices when sitting outside on the deck. It's quite satisfying to zap them...

JT
I like those for frying wasp.

I goggled diy fly repellant and supposedly they hate the aroma of citrus fruit cloves and cinnamon.
It seems like this is helping a little bit.
They are still buzzing around, but there are less flies landing on the table.
Smells good too.
It would probably work better indoors. Out here in the open the aroma can't build up like it would inside.
20230604_183805.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom