CALLING " Mary of Exeter "

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by BHep, Jun 14, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Sooooooo....... help me out here!

Streak "the male" is broody???????? [​IMG]

I have let them out of their coop. Today I find Streak in the crate that my laying hens, lay. I take him out, he is flapping his wings at me and pecks me. I put him up on top of another cage. 5 minutes later he flies back down and goes back in the cage and stuffs the chicken eggs underneath himself. [​IMG] So I took some pics of him for you to see.

Do male pigeons sit on the eggs? Or what?

Can I let him hatch some of my chicken eggs? [​IMG] I could use another broody ! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snapping his wings and ready to take a finger [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see one of the eggs...there are 3........

[​IMG]

2. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I have never heard of a pigeon claiming chicken eggs.He probably won't hatch them though,they take longer to hatch than pigeon eggs and he will probably abandon them.I have used my pigeons to hatch duck and geese eggs,but i have to time it right because they will only sit on them for 21 days at the most,so i have to switch the eggs to another pair.But that is cool that he is doing that.

3. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Well....that could work out. Chickens take 21 days [​IMG]

I moved him back to his coop. I put down some hay and 2 of the eggs. He took a drink of water and went right over to the nest and settled down. If he abandons the nest I have other broody hens or I will finish them in the incubator. [​IMG]

4. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Are you sure "he" is a he? Does he have a mate? I've let pigeons hatch bantam eggs before but they were a pair. Pairs take turns sitting,so I wonder if he might come off for to long a time if he doesn't have a mate to relieve him/ But ,nothing ventured,nothing gained. Might as well try and see what happens!

5. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    These were originally Mary of Exeter's birds. She said they were father & daughter, so I am going on that.
    Tonight I went out to check and the female was sitting on the eggs & the male was roosting.
    I will let them do their thing. It seems to make them happy. But I am starting to worry what happens when they hatch out chickens ??? Do I let them raise them or do need to take them away. Presuming they get that far... [​IMG]

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    The female and the male of paired pigeons sit on the nest and feed the young. I knew a ringneck dove male who was far more dutiful to the nest than his mate!

7. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

he probally sight mated to the hen. When she laid, he just sat on them as if they were his mates. We have a homer cock that will feed almost any young bird thats on the floor wether it's his or not.

8. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Male pigeons will sit on the nest and call the female onto the nest. They won't set on chicken eggs.

9. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    I have a pair that are doing the same thing, sitting on a bantam egg. what happens when/ if it hatches???

10. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Double post sorry

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by