BHep

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Faison, NC
Sooooooo....... help me out here!

Streak "the male" is broody????????
lau.gif

I have let them out of their coop. Today I find Streak in the crate that my laying hens, lay. I take him out, he is flapping his wings at me and pecks me. I put him up on top of another cage. 5 minutes later he flies back down and goes back in the cage and stuffs the chicken eggs underneath himself.
gig.gif
So I took some pics of him for you to see.

Do male pigeons sit on the eggs? Or what?

Can I let him hatch some of my chicken eggs?
lol.png
I could use another broody !
lol.png

72330_streak1.jpg

Snapping his wings and ready to take a finger
lau.gif

72330_streak2.jpg

You can see one of the eggs...there are 3........

72330_streak3.jpg

I have never heard of a pigeon claiming chicken eggs.He probably won't hatch them though,they take longer to hatch than pigeon eggs and he will probably abandon them.I have used my pigeons to hatch duck and geese eggs,but i have to time it right because they will only sit on them for 21 days at the most,so i have to switch the eggs to another pair.But that is cool that he is doing that.

Well....that could work out. Chickens take 21 days
big_smile.png

I moved him back to his coop. I put down some hay and 2 of the eggs. He took a drink of water and went right over to the nest and settled down. If he abandons the nest I have other broody hens or I will finish them in the incubator.
cool.png

Are you sure "he" is a he? Does he have a mate? I've let pigeons hatch bantam eggs before but they were a pair. Pairs take turns sitting,so I wonder if he might come off for to long a time if he doesn't have a mate to relieve him/ But ,nothing ventured,nothing gained. Might as well try and see what happens!

These were originally Mary of Exeter's birds. She said they were father & daughter, so I am going on that.
Tonight I went out to check and the female was sitting on the eggs & the male was roosting.
I will let them do their thing. It seems to make them happy. But I am starting to worry what happens when they hatch out chickens ??? Do I let them raise them or do need to take them away. Presuming they get that far...
idunno.gif

The female and the male of paired pigeons sit on the nest and feed the young. I knew a ringneck dove male who was far more dutiful to the nest than his mate!

Male pigeons will sit on the nest and call the female onto the nest. They won't set on chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom