Calling Virtually My Entire Flock Into Question - Please Give Me Good News

AmyJane725

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Western WA
Hey guys,

After my two favorite "hens" turned out to be roos, I figured I might as well have you look at the rest of my babies that I'm not sure about. I'm "pretty sure" on some of them (though that's probably more wishful thinking). Please, for the love of God, don't tell me my bantam cochins are roos. (And yes, I know the term is technically cockerel, but I like roo...)

This is Munchkin. SHE is a 51 day old white cochin bantam. Please tell me she's a pullet.
20190620_182002.jpg
20190620_182013.jpg
This is her SISTER, Gusty, a self blue cochin bantam.
20190620_181915.jpg
Now, their combs aren't overly red or huge, but their little wattles are starting to get some color. I'm really hopeful though, because here is a picture of their brothers at 20 days old.
IMG_5993.JPG

As you can see, they already had bright combs and wattles. I also had a white cochin bantam that I'm pretty sure was a little roo. He had a big comb. Munchkin and gusty have only recently started getting their wattles and combs. Do not tell me they are late bloomers or something. :fl Please.

Now, the rest of these are all some kind of silkie hybrid. They're bred to be bantam broilers to serve the Asian market. Most of them have single combs. A few have walnut. I'm not sure if the walnut comb goes along with small wattles or not. Anyway, I have banded them with my gender guesses. Would love any info from ya'll. They are all turning 6 weeks old tomorrow. I know regular silkies take like 6 months to figure out, but since these aren't purebred I was wondering if it was possible.

Pullet?
20190620_181037.jpg

Pullet?
20190620_181110.jpg

Pullet?
20190620_181205.jpg

Roo
20190620_181333.jpg
Roo
20190620_181437.jpg

Roo?
20190620_181550.jpg

Attachments

• 20190620_181011.jpg
    20190620_181011.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 6
Munchkin looks like a little cockerel to me, unfortunately. It's the shape of the comb that gives it away, the rounded full points and curve of the whole comb. Gusty seems to be a fast developing pullet. Her comb has little spiky tips and the colour is not red enough.
The rest have me baffled.

Munchkin looks like a little cockerel to me, unfortunately. It's the shape of the comb that gives it away, the rounded full points and curve of the whole comb. Gusty seems to be a fast developing pullet. Her comb has little spiky tips and the colour is not red enough.
The rest have me baffled.
:hitMunchkin, no. I'm gonna wind up with a bachelor flock at this rate. I got 3 of these because they were straight run, hoping I'd get one girl. Gave away two because I was pretty darn sure munchkin was a girl. She feathered out WAY before the other two (one of which I was sure was a roo).

Is Munchkin old enough for saddle feathers? I could get a full body shot tomorrow...

No, male saddle feathers don't come in until they're approximately 12 weeks. Unfortunately... All of the non-silkies appear to be cockerels. I'm not good with silkies, but I'm not holding out much hope on them either.

Where did you get these chickens?

No, male saddle feathers don't come in until they're approximately 12 weeks. Unfortunately... All of the non-silkies appear to be cockerels. I'm not good with silkies, but I'm not holding out much hope on them either.

Where did you get these chickens?
I got the silkies from Wilco and the rest from Ideal Poultry.

I can't believe they're all male. This is ridiculous. I bought 10 silkies hoping to get 1 female.

Back
Top Bottom