1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calm White egg layer breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by winteree, Oct 1, 2014.

1. winteree

winteree Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm Putting together the my list for breeds i want for the spring and i know mostly what i want but i also wanted a calm white layer i have a white leghorn right now and i don't think she will be staying. She is very flighty and is normally one of the last to roost at night which will not do. Does anyone know of a white egg layer that isn't so skittish i don't like chasing her around the yard every night but i want a white egg layer in my flock. If it helps any i would like to buy from ideal

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    For calm, Barred Hollands (calmest white egg layers I have had) and WFB Spanish would be my picks of the ones they have, they also have a Production Black that is supposed to be a white egg layer that sounds interesting, I've never had them.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you don't mind hybrids, Austra Whites are very calm and productive white layers (although sometimes their eggs are an offwhite).

4. winteree

i have heard of barred Hollands but for some reason I couldn't add them to my cart last spring[​IMG].. but that production black sounds nice I wouldn't mind adding a few darker coloured birds to my flock.

5. winteree

off-white isn't a problem my family eats what is layed If not I am more then happy to.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by